Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

How do you speak to people?

TipTipTip August 23rd

I have this problem: sometimes I can speak perfectly, I have a good language, (I am almost bilingual because I manage well in English and in fact I am here) and I am a person who in the past has read a lot, and who likes to study, in short, it is not the language it self that is the problem, it is speaking!

It seems that I cannot communicate. Things take shape in my head and have a sense, I am sure they have, but then they come out wrong, and it is so with different topics! Who is like me? Can you feel what I mean?

If I am talking about personal suffering, or an anecdote, I have a joke, or a story, regardless of what I have to say, I got trouble to express it, and I realize that people misunderstand or are sincerely confused, because I stumble, and trying to explain that I am stumbling because I am in difficulty create even more confusion!

Sometimes I get by with a slight embarrassment because maybe I have just stuttered a little, other times, if I consider important what I have to say, it happens that my brain TURNS OFF the ability to communicate and I create a huge confusion because I realize that I am stuttering and I am stumbling, and people's not understanding and want to change topic, but that thing is important and so I try to fix it but stutter and stumble even more AND IT IS A DISASTER.

And I feel frustrated and embarrassed...

The feeling is exactly this, imagine that communicating is like taking a box and slowly taking out the objects from the box, well, I take one that slips from my hands and trying to grab it I bump the box that falls and while I move my hands to grab the objects that fall, those objects spreads disorderly on the ground. It feels exactly like this...

However, I am 100% aware that it is not always like this, that at other times instead I am very fluent and I even result in being charismatic, in fact, I would not describe myself as a person who does not know how to communicate despite the title.

For me is different from messages and for real life.

Another communication problem of mine, is that I always have to tell the whole story, or the whole concept when I want to express my opinion, resulting in being dispersive, perhaps boring and less effective than I hope, my mother has pointed out to me that often people get lost when I talk in this way, and it makes me sad, maybe I am not used to talking to people? I am a girl without friends who hardly ever goes out so it is likely.

It is not always like this, BUT since it happens too often for my taste, and when it happens it gets in the way of things that are very important to me, for example, my own therapy, I wanted to talk about it not to complain but to find a solution and hear how people with my same problem have faced or solved it!

Maybe if i overcome it life could be a little easier so I can ask for help without stumbling.

I have noticed that it is not so much with whom I am or where I am, I can speak very well with anyone and anywhere and I can also stutter. So maybe the problem is inside me?

toughTiger6481 August 24th

@TipTipTip

Have you considered you only have control of yourself and in a conversation?   

Your different outcomes could be the result of different audiences? 

Many people love to talk of themselves for example and even when a person responds they spend more time forming their next time to talk then listening and then the conversation goes astray because they  did miss your context and might be confused about what you said...... NOT your fault but theirs. 

TipTipTip OP August 24th

I was thinking that maybe it's 'my fault' but not in a blaming way, just cause i can be anxious and insicure when I stutter but is not a thing that happen with some people, but with everyone, so I think is an emotional problem? For example it can happen even with my mother or my best friend, my best friend knows that and she makes fun of me (in a good way, she make me laugh) but it's not stuttering the main problem, I can manage it, is that things I described, when my brain turns off the ability to communicate what i'n thinking! That is worse, cause I express my self real bad when happen but is not with specific person, but it depend how I feel!

toughTiger6481 August 24th

@TipTipTip

Many people have similar reactions when they are brain turns off and word s are on tip of their tongue or things come out garbled  in meaning .... many people have stress when trying to communicate.

For me this happens if i am intimidated or think the person was important.... but i found relaxing and seeing we are all people regardless helps. 

TipTipTip OP August 24th

Yes exactly! That! I want to improve that point, cause it happen to me often in therapy, and that's unproductive