Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Am I just depressed or is it menopause?

I've been in menopause for a few years now.  For most of my life I have struggled with depression and been diagnosed multiple times with ADHD and dysthymia.  Once I hit menopause, I found other women I knew were experiencing depression, but they said it was depression caused by menopause.

For the past few years I've had a much harder time dealing with my depression.  I was in outpatient therapy, multiple medications and tons of therapy sessions.  I've gotten better after hitting a real low, but not that much better, I'm still depressed.  I'm starting to get curious how much of my depression might be caused by menopause.

Has anyone in the group experienced an onset of depression from menopause?  Or had menopause harmone therapy relieve them of depression symptoms?

toughTiger6481 June 12th

@selfdisciplinedPenny281

I listened to a informative Podcast ... Mel Robbins may 8th this year episode this is with a doctor who studies and has Alot of information on menopause and HRT ...

it was amazing how many things the change in hormones effects.... 

MindfulJourney22 June 12th

@selfdisciplinedPenny281  Navigating through the complexities of depression, especially when compounded by hormonal changes like menopause, can be incredibly challenging. It sounds like you've been through a lot and have shown tremendous resilience in seeking help and exploring various avenues for relief. Your experiences are valid, and it's understandable to wonder about the role menopause may be playing in your depression. Connecting with others who have experienced similar struggles could offer valuable insights and support. Online support groups or forums focused on menopause and mental health might be good places to start. Sharing your story and hearing from others who have gone through similar experiences can provide a sense of validation and understanding .Additionally, discussing your concerns with a healthcare professional who specializes in both menopause and mental health could be beneficial. They can offer personalized insights and guidance tailored to your specific situation. Exploring hormone therapy as a potential avenue for relief is certainly worth considering, and a healthcare provider can provide you with information about the potential benefits and risks associated with this treatment option. Remember, you're not alone in this journey, we are here for you. Your courage in seeking answers and support is commendable, and I hope you find the clarity and relief you seek.