Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

New here

Hug4you March 10th, 2016

Good evening.

I joined as a listener today, but now I feel scared to take my first chat, is this normal?

Did anyone else feel like this?

empatheticStar March 10th, 2016

Yes, I think it is totally normal. I am going through the same thing. I'm also new and I'm scared to take requests off of the general requests.

I think it'll get better as we get more used to taking requests.

Maybe a more experienced listener could give us a more through answer. :)

CheerfulCharlotte March 10th, 2016

@Hug4you

Hi there,
I joined relatively recently as a listener, and I know what you mean: taking your first chat can be pretty daunting! It's perfectly normal to feel like this and I think most listeners would say they felt at least a little bit nervous to begin with too smiley
You're bound to find your first few chats tricky, but just remember your listener training and remember that there are listener group chats and forums that you can head to if you're ever stuck for what to say in a chat. The more experienced listeners are a friendly bunch, and would be happy to help you!
Also, you have probably already noticed this, but when you go to take a general request, you can see whether the user has selected an area that they need help in. If there's an area that you're experienced in, it might be helpful to take a chat on that subject to begin with, or similarly if there's an issue that triggers you or that you struggle with, you can avoid those kind of chats.
You can also sign up for a listener mentor to help you and guide you through using 7 Cups, if you'd like to!
I hope some of that helps, and good luck on your 7 Cups listener journey! We're happy to have you with us!