Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Chat delays

ArisingVoice48 January 6th, 2021

Sometimes members don't respond for a long time and I don't know if they are thinking about what to say, having technical issues or have left. How long is a normal silence in the chat, and at what point should we ask another question or leave the chat?

11820Read January 6th, 2021

@ArisingVoice48

I usually tolerate up to 15 minutes.

I also think that when the member has been silent for about 10 minutes without saying goodbye or anything else, that's when the listener ought to ask something like, "Is there anything else you'd like to share?"

ArisingVoice48 OP January 6th, 2021

@11820Read thanks, that's very helpful!

RarelyCharlie January 6th, 2021

@ArisingVoice48 I usually allow up to three minutes between messages. After about four minutes I ask another question, and if there's still no response I follow up by saying we can chat again later and preparing to leave.

Usually about ten minutes after the member's last message I would leave the chat.

Charlie

TheFisherKing January 6th, 2021

@ArisingVoice48 I do what @RarelyCharlie said. After waiting a 2 or 3 minutes in between questions, I give a gentle warning that I will consider the chat over in 5 or 10 minutes. I know sometimes people struggle to find the words to explain or they may be struggling with their emotions, so I try to be patient with them. I would want the same from a listener if I was reaching out.

Ahlex January 6th, 2021

@ArisingVoice48

I guess it depends on your individual preference. I wait 5 minutes, then ask if they're there. If no response for another 5 or I see them go offline I end the chat.