Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

This question needs an answer

fearlessLake3608 February 14th

Why do people always counterbalance their good deeds with something bad. Example would be doing someone a favour then calling them needy, giving someone broken items, moldy food or pennies you need to get rid of, promising things for free but later put someone in debt. Is there a psychological explanation for this? Is this the root of human selfish functioning so they are trying to maintain inner balance by doing this?

PineTreeTree February 15th

Hi @fearlessLake3608 Where does your premise come from? I’m not convinced of this “counterbalance.”

fearlessLake3608 OP February 16th

@PineTreeTree i dont need to convince anyone of anything. Use your own brain. I got to this conclusion from my own observance. I do not need to cite someone else or a book.

PineTreeTree February 16th

@fearlessLake3608 Got it. You want to propose a hypothesis that “must be answered” but nothing that bears any scrutiny. I wouldn’t know how to even answer your question. It just brings up other questions. Like you used the word “counterbalance”. So how do we “weigh” these sins and good acts? Is a convicted murderer supposed to have counter balanced his bad act with some equal but opposite act of goodness? If I give to the poor, but j-walk are those morally equal acts that could counterbalance? How would you go about setting up an experiment to measure such things? Even as a thought experiment it just doesn’t have much to ponder. I suspect you haven’t had much training in social sciences. Not that is necessary to ask a question, but it helps to ask questions that might have answers. Feel free to live in your head, but if you let your thoughts out into the world, sometimes you’ll get challenged.

fearlessLake3608 OP March 3rd

@PineTreeTree I may have not studies social sciences but i can clearly recognize the passive aggressiveness in your reply and that's unnecessary.

@PineTreeTree regarding to my title. it is there solely to attract attention not as a hypothesis. so it's no ground for passive aggression.

@fearlessLake3608 it needs attention just because this site is mostly unactive and there is tons of blank posts.

fearlessLake3608 OP March 15th

@PineTreeTree how degrading to tell someone that he lives in his own head. like i have never lived or expirienced anything. feel free (continue) to devalue someone else and go to spend more time on your prefered site rather than here!

Candice777 February 15th

If someone does this then I would say it wasn't a good deed to start with. It may be the ego pretending to do good but actually it just wants acknowledgement or praise.

Countrygirl095 February 28th

@fearlessLake3608 i understand 

anonyTortoise3336 March 4th

I recently watched mindfield on YouTube and they ran an experiment on a similar premise. It was like the good deed gave people an out in helping others.

fearlessLake3608 OP March 15th

@anonyTortoise3336 oh interesting! can you tell me the exact title of this video so i can see it?

anonyTortoise3336 March 27th

Moral licensing, it’s in season 3 of mind field on YouTube