Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Phobia of Bees/Flying Insects

wandamx26 September 6th

Does anyone know how to keep bees out of homes specifically apartments? Last week Saturday, I think four bees flew into my room. I couldn't tell if they were bees because I have a phobia of them but they were buzzing really loud and flying. Luckily my mom was able to get rid of them using bug spray. However she has been trying to get a hold of the manager about this issue and we still don't have a response. I hope that I don't get anymore coming in, but I did see one flying outside our living room window. For now I have been keeping my curtains closed since the bees are attracted to light and that is where they were flying near last week and try to run my air conditioner when it gets really hot. 

Can anyone relate to having a phobia of bees?

AffyAvo September 7th

@wandamx26 For me not phobia level, but definitely some fear with flying stinging things, especially wasps.

With them getting inside figuring out what they are helps honeybees for example are very different than bumblebees. Can you mom look carefully at one?

wandamx26 OP September 7th

The bugs are already did but initially my mom said they didn't have stingers after she sprayed them. Also from afar, they just looked big and black. 

wandamx26 OP September 7th

^dead

cloudySummer September 7th

@wandamx26 To answer the question in the title: yes, by using a moskito-net that you put before the windows on the outside. Those things are usually sold at the beginnng of summer in supermarkets.

Maybe your mum can get a more insect friendly device to catch them? Would also give you a chance to dare a closer look without any danger. It's understandable to be worried about insects stinging you - many do. But with insects already being on the verge of dying out, and them being needed for food to exist, it's nicer to them to just catch them and throw them out. It kind of feels nicer to not hurt each other, no matter how scared one is of the other... It will also help if you are able to discern the potentially harmful ones from those that are harmless.

Bees usually fly during the day - if it is attracted by light, it's not likely it's a bee. They sleep in their hive, normally. Usually, they don't enter homes, either, at least in Europe (wasps do).

Not sure a facility manager can do much about flies or bees entering your home, that's normal, and most people would not bother. Getting a net is cheap and it's easy to put on the windows yourselves.

To find out what kind of animal something is, I can recommend looking them up on the internet. Some are really, really interesting, too. Doing so may reduce your fear and increase your knowledge and awe of nature's little wonders.

wandamx26 OP September 8th

@cloudySummer To answer these questions, the bugs came in through the AC so a mosquito net would difficult. Besides the windows in my apartment have a screen on the inside in front of the actual window. We do have a device that looks like a tennis racket but is an electric fly swatter. I wished I looked at the bugs more, but the bugs are already dead and this occurred last week Saturday. One time a bee did come into my room like three years ago but it was already dead when I found it. 

Also it was around 5pm when this incident happened and it happened to be a bit shady at the time.