Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

gaslighting definition

jotee December 8th, 2021

Hi all. I've been looking at my past diary entries, and realized how much i was hurt. i forgot.

I wrote how a family member pretended i said i wanted to have a certain occupation. she made fun of me for it. she had a whole scorning motion to say it with. No matter how many times i yelled "i never said that", didnt help. she yelled over me and my words were getting stuck in my throat. It wasnt the first time she ridiculed me for it. she was trying to convince me and every one in my family that i said i wanted that occupation.

this was just one episode of how she bullied me/ verbally abused me. in fact, before and after this she did many other horrible things. ive been wondering if this event can be considered gas lighting. Because she was trying to convince me something that wasnt true.

i think that getting words and terms for things that happened to you is empowering. like abuse, bullying... im wondering if i can add this term too.

❤️Jo

halcyonCloud2036 December 8th, 2021

@jotee

That is so frustrating and hurtful! I have a similar family member. It feels like they like to make us look bad, to make other people laugh! I really really hate that!

And I think this is a form of gaslighting by making you feel that you don't remember what you said and making you look like people should doubt you.

You know what you said, don't ever let this person make you question yourself.