Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

relationship with parents after SA

Camsweets March 30th, 2023

So, I won’t go into any detail but it’s safe to say that I have not had an easy life. I’ve faced physical, mental and emotional abuse, neglect and sexually assault starting at a very young age continuing for decades. I’ve experienced things so awful that I feel ahh if they have changed my soul and the fabric of my DNA. With that being said, I was watching YaYa Sisterhood or whatever that movie is called and it got me thinking…

Do you think it’s worse to be go through that or to be the parent of someone that was tortured like that?

At least I know my guilt and shame are unjustified in the end (even if it took me decades to learn that and it doesn’t always stick). It physically hurts me to cause others pain. If I had children and something like what happened to me occurred right under my nose or worse, I knew about it and let my kid suffer and continue to be abused… I wouldn’t handle that well. My empathy is off the charts ( too much usually because of CPTSD) though. I’m not sure how healthy people feel, no less people with narcissistic tendencies.

What do you think?

toughTiger6481 March 31st, 2023

@Camsweets

interesting question...... i think worse to go through it ................but also understand the real effect it could have knowing you did not see what was happening to your child........

Camsweets OP March 31st, 2023

@toughtiger6481

yeah. I agree too but it did just make me think. But then again I don’t think I could ever treat others the way my parents and others treated me so I guess the question is somewhat irrelevant. I doubt my Mom or dad feel the guilt and shame the way I would in their situation.

adventurousBranch3786 March 31st, 2023

@Camsweets. I don’t think parents who let it go on, even though they know about it suffer too much for what happened. That’s just my opinion from my experience.