Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

it's all connected

findingNiko September 1st, 2015

It was hinted to me, recently, that adult survivors of childhood sexual abuse have had 'more than enough time' to 'get over it'.

I'm unsure as to how I could possibly 'get over it', when 'it' has been one of the key ingredients to my never-freakin-ending state of depression.

At 7 years old, I was raped by a close relative. It happened once, but one time was enough to damage me forever. It shaped me into a contradictory ball of anxiety, an emotion-bomb on the highest possible setting, with the obsessive desire to be loved, while simultaneously fearing everything.

I was told then to move on, so I did, to them. I played my part so well, the happy little girl, that they all assumed I'd made it up. The rest of my life, I was told it didn't happen.

But. I remember. So. Much.

The anxiety, depression, fibro, anorexia, insomnia, shyness, feelings of worthlessness, self-doubt... they are all connected... intertwined with my soul; I don't know how to cut out those pieces without killing the rest of me.

jmgh30 September 1st, 2015

Niko, I'm sorry to hear what you've been through. No one has the right to tell you to get over it and when or if it has been enough time to heal. I think it's a huge step for you to reach out here, after pretending for so long, and I hope you find what you need.

This may sound new-agey of me but I can see how holding that agony inside of you all the time manifests itself as depression, anxiety, etc...I hope you find an outlet here. Hang in there, you aren't alone and we're here for you.