Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Was it abuse...? ****Trigger Warning****

ghostprincen April 3rd, 2017

Just to forwarn you all I'm going to go into a bit of detail about what happened to me as a kid and into my adult years. Trigger warning for csa.

So my partner is also a victim of csa and about a year ago I told her that my mother made me uncomfortable because she would always ask for physical affection like kisses and for me to sit on her lap. At this point in time I was 18 already and my partner said what my mother was doing was pedophilic. I started looking back at my childhood critically and I agree with her that it was, but so often I find myself denying that it happened to me at all. Now I'm almost 20 and I do not have any connection to my family any longer so I've had a chance to look at things more critically. I believe what I went through was sexual abuse but I don't want to talk to people I know about it, I would rather look for validation here. Honestly I just need for someone to validate me and tell me that I'm not making all this up.

So, as a kid my mother was pretty normal if not over affectionate, she even watched me shower. I don't remember her touching me, just watching me shower. When I started hitting puberty she'd make comments about my breasts, like how when I bent over I had a cleavage, or how big my breasts would be when I got older. At 11 I stopped allowing her to shower me and see me naked. She'd still get upset when I would ask her to leave my room because I was changing. She said she was my mother and allowed to see me naked. I wouldn't move until she left. She always asked me to give her more affection than what I was comfortable with. I'd kiss her on the cheek and she'd demand more or "better" kisses. She'd demand constant hugs, even for me to sit in her lap. This went on until the very last visit I took to see my family. I truly believe what I went through was csa, I even became hyper-sexual at 11 when she stopped showering me, which I know is a sign of csa. I also have vivid flashbacks of her saying these things to me, another symptom of csa.

I don't know I'd just like it if someone would acknowledge what I went through and remind me that my experiences are not made up. I'm sorry this is so long I just really need some help because I feel like I'm losing my mind.

celestialvoid April 4th, 2017

@ghostprincen
I don't think you are crazy at all. However, I can see why her actions make you FEEL crazy.

I'd personally explore these memories with someone professional, I feel like EMDR practitioner might help. If you felt icky, then it probably was icky. When parents give affection that isn't sexually motivated, the child feels safe and doesn't question the affection. If the adult is pushing the boundries for their own pleasure, then it is still traumatic even if its covert. Even if the parent is using the child as an emotional spouse, it's traumatic. Not being allowed / being rediculed for having age appropriate boundries is abusive.

Again, having someone professional to talk to should help you feel less crazy and work out all the cognitive disortions that your moms behavior may have taught you.

MKJart April 12th, 2017

@ghostprincen

I see you, I believe you and yes,,,, what you went through was csa.

berry1900 April 22nd, 2017

@MKJart @ghostprince I agree with MKJart. What you described was CSA. I am sorry you went through this. Please know that it is not your fault. I believe you.