Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Mitigating the lifelong damage of early childhood trauma

IndigoWhisper April 28th, 2023

Possible trigger warning.

I really really hope I am not breaking any rules by doing this or making a terrible mistake. I want to help others who may need this tool - and I'm trying to continue my healing journey by letting out the big secrets that I was always afraid to talk about.

Over 2 decades ago, I figured out how to safely edit my own memories - just enough to stay the same person but come out less *damaged*

I did this using a form of self-hypnosis to "be" the comforting, loving, understanding, caring adult figure that was never there in reality. It was something I *badly* needed and I recognized this after reading a lot of things on both psychology and child development.

We are not talking about full healing, the risks of that were to high, but it made a huge difference and I firmly believe it is the reason I can at least function, cope, and sometimes be happy.

I think I can teach others and I'd like to try - but I also want to make sure this is done *carefully* and that people understand that there are risks involved and the only way to know if this can be adapted for others is to try.

The memories I created are *not* real, but they *feel* real despite fullly knowing they were constructed to mitigate incidents of trauma. And that is a critical key - you *must* wake up aware the memories are not real.

My mind may be uniquely suited to this sort of thing - I have a very good long term memory as well as sensory memory and the trauma I went through did give me certain tools.

It's likely others have done things like this and if I'm right about the risks people probably have lost themselves both because they couldn't accept only partial healing and went to far - or else destabilized the very foundations of thier mind.

If you've seen inside out, let us just say there is some resonance to the risks of playing with pivotal memories, the sacrifices you may need to make, and the potential rewards.

I very nearly took my own life before finally realizing adults could be wrong and being different was not an unforgivable sin. That part is a topic for a different thread.

What followed was a multiyear quest to try and sort out my actual mental health status and seperate all the insidious lies from real issues that I needed to address - while still being forced to keep everything secret.

I'm not against therapy but it actually was weaponized against me and used as the

"boogyman" .

I've also had a really hard time ever finding a therapist that gets the trauma of disability and this sort of abuse so just not that helpful -for me - unless it help in coping with a current high stress situation.

One thing the school and thier so called "experts" were right about, was that they'd left me with damage that was really really hard to heal after they compounded it with "tough love" instead of actual support andlet it fester for even more years

In many ways it was just to late. I needed a time machine but back in the real world they don't actually exist. I had to much trauma that started at far to young an age.

Trying to heal certain types of early childhood trauma is very difficult once you get past a certain age according to studies and the outcomes tend to be bad.

If the school had tried, but all they did was double-down on trauma by prescribing "tough love" instead of help in healing the damage they had created - while I was still young enough that it would have been a *lot* easier.

I came up with a plan to make a virtual time machine in my own mind and "talk" to my younger self .

Time machines don't exist in reality but my child self was desperate for any escape and half wanted to believe in it.

To my younger self - my adult self was a time traveler and the desperately wished for savior who didn't exactly provide an escape - but gave all that suffering a purpose and gave support every time.

My older self told my younger self we couldn't change the time line to much - but it could hurt less.

For you, dear reader, the presentation might be different, you know what fantasy it would be possible to fulfill for your younger self. What would it take to get little you to accept and believe just enough to allow healing?

I know none of it is real, but my child self only found that out for sure when she was old enough to understand and after it had already made a litteral difference in my "wiring" which I was able to keep.

What I did was dangerous, I borrowed heavily from DiD integration theory and intentionally created such a situation in a carefully controlled way - so that there would *be*pieces to reintegrate into a healthier whole.

Thoughts?

Noname004 April 28th, 2023

@IndigoWhisper

I don't know what your life is like or who you are, but the world is better with you in it. I don't know what you went through, but whatever it was, I'm sorry you had to live through it. I'm here to support you if you need me. Trauma is rough, as is life, but your coping mechanism is just so interesting. Your post kinda sparked my curiosity, how is what you did dangerous ? How'd you find out about this mechanism ? Sorry about the questions, you don't have to respond if you don't want to. Also, I'm sorry if this comment wasn't what you were looking for..

-Noname

IndigoWhisper OP April 29th, 2023

This isn't exactly the sort of response I was looking for but it's a fair one. I just don't want to bog down this particular thread with to much of the story of my traumatic childhood. I've been talking about parts of it in other threads across multiple 7 cups communities.

Who I am is a gal who grew up in a time period and place where the local school system believed kids with disabilities or neurological differences needed to be locked away and could not be allowed to bring down thier precious test scores.

The joke was on them because as a gifted-disabled child with a massive strength in reading I had one of the highest test scores in the entire school . By that point I'd added traumatized abuse survivor to the list

If ever there was a recipe for what NOT to do while claiming it was for the "good of the child" - I lived it.

I don't know where the school found thier "experts" but it sure felt the munchausen by proxy school of psychiatry and child development <growl>. Yes that is extremely dark humor. Its like they were actually trying to create mental illness rather then cure it.

IndigoWhisper OP April 29th, 2023

Noname as for your other question why was this potentially dangerous and how did I find out about it.

I read the entire psychology and child development sections of both my school and public library among other things. Scientific journals, even fiction.

One major piece is attachment theory - except extended and adapted for children over the age of 3. If you are going to be working with your younger self half if it is what you remember about being that kid and the other half is studying child development and therapy for children.

The danger is I could have been wrong - no formal training or supervision. I may have "reinvented a wheel" but I developed this by myself and I am terrified that someone might end up worse off.

LostTurtle2 May 7th, 2023

Your thread picked my interest not only because i was a bit idiot savant avid reader myself as a child. Nearly exhausted the school and public library on my small town. You're into something big. I did some imaginary talk to my inner child reassuring myself o would do alright in my life. And it helped. I didn't try to rewrite the memories though. It could be a useful thing though. I need to think more of it some other time of day when I'm not as sleepy as now.