Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Inner child and the Adult

Simplelifeforever June 14th, 2021

Recently I have been wanting to work on my inner child however I find there tobe an issue I just don't feel or know what my adult self is like every time I think of this idea I feel like my inner child is active and adult is not there, not sure how to work with this. If anything I feel fake and not real.

bestEast2648 June 14th, 2021

My opinion is just be your Adult self. We have limitations as we age. Do not look back to the “inner child.” That was then this is now. Be happy that you are able to see, hear and think. Also, count your blessings. You are not going to radiation treatments daily or dialysis treatments. Imagine telling a woman dying of cancer that you feel fake and not real. What would she tell you. Actually, I saw a lady singing last night on America Has Talent. She has a 2% chance to live. She was so happy and amazing. Such an inspiration to me. Wow, she would love to have the only issue of working on her “inner child” instead of wondering will she survive that 2% chance of life. Take care.

laylaa12112 June 17th, 2021

@bestEast2648
Your intentions are good ❤️
I don't think we should belittle someone's pain by telling them to see how other people have it worse. Feeling hurt or being in emotional pain isn't a competition or something to be compared to see who is feeling the most pain. The OP's pain and feelings are valid, important and they do matter, without being discussed that who has it worse. Also after trauma the inner child can become detached from the adult self. I believe that there is so much more to OP's feelings than just their only 'problem' being not able to 'work on inner child.' I agree taking inspiration from strong people like the singer you mentioned is good ❤️ But OP your feelings matter and I hope you do not belittle yourself by comparing pain ❤️

bestEast2648 June 18th, 2021

I feel it is important to be sensitive and to look at others disabilities and think how would we feel if we were in their shoes? It makes us more compassionate to them and it does make us realize our problems are not as big. It truly helps me deal with my “so called problems” when I am sending cards monthly to persons that have cancer or an illness where they cannot get out of bed and all they have to look forward is getting snail mail. I also have a friend with CP in a wheelchair and she is depressed now for the first time because of the limited staff they have. She does not get to see as many people as she used to. That is sad and for me I have no reason to complain about my issues. We are blessed if we can see, hear and walk. For myself it helps me with my so called ailments when I see the struggles that someone has doing the daily tasks that I can do in half the time they can. Spend time with someone dying of cancer and it puts things into perspective. God bless.

laylaa12112 June 19th, 2021

@bestEast2648 Yes it is important to be sensitive to other people's feelings and that also includes being sensitive to OP's feelings. Comparing who has it worse can make other people invalidate their feelings too or gaslight themselves. That happens too sometimes. But I am really glad that it helps you cope and puts things in perspective for you and helps you!!

dapperPond2037 June 14th, 2021

I have recently been looking back on my life. I don’t think connecting with my inner child has been productive. It’s brought up some painful memories that as an adult, I am helpless to remedy. Just bear in mind, that is your past. This is who we are now.

hopebeyondpain June 16th, 2021

@Simplelifeforever

Hey there ❤️

I'm just dropping a link to another post that guides you through the process of talking to your inner child. Even though there's a disconnect between your inner child and the adult you believe you should be, it's also good to remember that your inner child is a part of you. You don't have to try to get rid of them or grow out of them if you don't really want to

I hope the post helps ❤️ Take care!

https://www.7cups.com/forum/TraumaSupport_60/JournalingStories_318/WritingaLettertoyourinnerChild_75053/