Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Financial Trauma

BorahaeAndHappiness May 11th, 2023

Hi everyone.

I suffer from C PTSD and that includes financial trauma. I didn't even know financial trauma was a thing until recently but I definitely have it.

Does anyone else have financial trauma? How do you deal with it. Some days its so bad I can't even look at my bank account app.

Are there any listeners on here who specialize it financial trauma?

I really want to find some ways to cope with this.

😔

toughTiger6481 May 11th, 2023

@BorahaeAndHappiness

I have not heard of this but another person here wrote a post about being terrified of even looking at bank stuff...

could you possibly give an example so others might better understand what you are going through?

BorahaeAndHappiness OP May 11th, 2023

It's hard to talk about without going into detail but basically anyone who has been traumatized due to a financial situation might have financial trauma

Some things that might cause it are a sudden unexpected loss of money, poverty, and financial discrimination among other things.

Its just one aspect of my ptsd, but its the one I struggle with the most.

Here's a website that does a nice job of explaining it more.

https://www.choosingtherapy.com/financial-trauma/

toughTiger6481 May 11th, 2023

@BorahaeAndHappiness

Thanks for the link

i am aware of that had many i know have similar issues i just had not heard the Name ....

sounds like a circular issue in if people avoid the topic things do not fix magically fix and in some cases grow worse...while feeling secure in financial items sure helps with stress ...... finance habits and practices are skills that frankly many are simply not taught.... and when people stress and avoid things grow like mold.

Jaeteuk May 24th, 2023

I guess mine could be labeled as a financial trauma. I was scammed financially, and I was stupid enough to send my hard-earned money away to a complete stranger.. was close to 30k.. I'm still suffering and totally traumatized because the person who scammed me was actually introduced by someone I knew.. come to think of it, maybe even that person's social media account had already been hacked.. but at the same time, I'm unsure of that.. because when I first spoke with this person, they knew everything about me already, as if that friend had told the person what I liked..

It's been a year and a half since I reported to local Police, and my bank account is still suffering. I think I'm more traumatized by being used, and for some reason, I trusted the person that I was speaking with. So, I'm traumatized by myself trusting the wrong people, and making me look stupid to do something like this. I was totally terrified of what was happening, I spoke with a colleague about it, and she was the one who talked me into reporting it to the Police. I knew someone from school before who has friends in the Police force, I asked them for advice. And that person gave me the phone number for me to report to Police for non-emergencies. I was afraid to tell my family about it, I didn't have enough money to pay for my own bills, I actually went to ask my cousin to borrow me a few hundred dollars. It wasn't until a couple weeks later, that I told my family about it.

I'm still struggling to pay for my own groceries and I don't have enough money to make my monthly contributions towards my family (living with parents still). I feel angry at myself for doing something like this, and I think I am still quite traumatized by the entire financial scam. (Except I can't really talk about it anymore, with family, of how much it is still impacting my life).

@BorahaeAndHappiness

toughTiger6481 May 24th, 2023

@Jaeteuk

Wow sorry to hear your story .....

do not be too hard on yourself millions of people wanting to trust have done similar things. Many are too embarrassed or ashamed that they were used or scammed they do not talk about it.

I can imagine that this does stay with you and effect your trust of anyone especially when it comes to finances......

Glad you made a report but in most cases they cannot get your money back ..... this is a huge problem with people online. .... the question of who was it really as many are fake.

I am hoping you can recover your trust in the future and honestly as a first person account of what does happen you can help someone else not fall for something.......

Jaeteuk May 24th, 2023

My money is gone forever.. The Police Officer that was in charge of my case, he handed my case file to the higher ups a couple of times, but they didn't accept it, so he couldn't further track down who these people were. All he found out were the fake accounts indicating somewhere in the States, but the names don't match..

I was already having trust issues because of a previous friendship I had, was being used from the very beginning of our 16-year-friendship. Now with this incident, that trust issue is on a different level. Now I don't trust myself trusting other people. Here, in 7 Cups, is the only online platform that I feel safe trusting people whom I'll probably never meet in person. It seems people like to take advantage of my kindness to their own benefits.

@toughTiger6481

Jaeteuk May 24th, 2023

My money is gone forever.. The Police Officer that was in charge of my case, he handed my case file to the higher ups a couple of times, but they didn't accept it, so he couldn't further track down who these people were. All he found out were the fake accounts indicating somewhere in the States, but the names don't match..

I was already having trust issues because of a previous friendship I had, was being used from the very beginning of our 16-year-friendship. Now with this incident, that trust issue is on a different level. Now I don't trust myself trusting other people. Here, in 7 Cups, is the only online platform that I feel safe trusting people whom I'll probably never meet in person. It seems people like to take advantage of my kindness to their own benefits.

@toughTiger6481