Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

My brother verbally abused me

OwlishAthena November 11th, 2016

When I was seven years old, my parents separated because my mom was having an affair. She moved out. My dad travels for work and my older sister has a job, so my older brother (who was 12 at the time) was tasked with watching me.

He did not like this. He was angry about the separation and desperately needed anger management classes but never received them. Due to this, he took it out on me.

He called me fat, ugly, a loser, and a loner. He told me that I had no friends and that I didn't belong to the family because I was so fat and ugly. At the time, I had began stress eating and indeed gained weight without anyone to make sure I was eating right. I have the stretch marks to prove it.

I would lock myself in my room while he pounded on the door telling me to get out. He would threaten to hurt me, and sometimes he did. Telling my parents would get him punished, but afterwards, he would have to watch me again and be even more angry. I looked forward to school because it meant I could get away from him. This went on for years until I was finally old enough to watch myself.

Now, I am 18. I don't really blame my brother for anything because I know he needed help but never got it. He is better now. I usually block most of my childhood out. However, now I have severe social anxiety. I have image problems. I think that no one would ever want to go out with me. I always think people are laughing at me behind my back.

I am being suffocated in my own worries and fears.

Rain45 November 13th, 2016

@OwlishAthena it sounds as though you are in a really difficult place right now struggling with your fears, worries and social anxieties and I am sorry to hear of what you went through with your brother and parents when you were younger. I am so sorry to hear you have been struggling with all of this for quite some time. It sounds as though there were times growing up where you felt alone with what was happening and it must have been extremely upsetting and difficult for you to experience the things with your brother that you did, especially when you had tried to reach out to someone to help. It sounds as though things happened in the family that affected both of you in different ways. I hear that you don't blame your brother but this does not take away the problems you have expressed so clearly and how you are left feeling.

I wonder if you have any support, friends, other family members or a professional you could talk to, to get some support for yourself? Remember there are always listeners here who would be only too willing to chat with you if you need some support, a friendly ear etc. Is anyone aware of the struggles you feel you are having to deal with day to day? When someone has been put down, hurt, made to feel bad about themselves, this can affect someone's perception of their self worth, self belief and affect their self esteem. You mentioned about your social anxiety and how you worry that people are laughing behind your back - Has anything happened for you to feel this is what is happening, or do you feel this is a fear that arises perhaps when you are not feeling so good perhaps about yourself, you may believe others don't? You are a worthwhile person, and nothing that happened was your fault.