Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

A song about my trauma: "Brave face"

englishteacher1994 August 29th, 2018

Hello all. I am a singer and a songwriter and I am a survivor of childhood sexual trauma. My half-brother molested me from the ages of 7-12, and I did not even know it was wrong until 2 years after when I finally talked about it. Since then, I have had 3 emotionally and verbally abusive relationships and 1 stalker. I wrote this song three years ago when I was in a psychiatric hospital after attempting to take my own life. I am new to 7cups and from what I can see, this platform will change my life. I hope this song means something to you. Thanks for reading.

Verse 1: Take a look in a storybook and what do you see? A prince and a princess, and its a fantasy. Each one has a beginning, and each one has an end, but their happily ever Afters are just pretend.

Verse 2: she grew up in a little house with a picket fence. She went to church each Sunday but the other days were tense. In that little house, some things went unknown. She didnt have a prince to save her. And she felt so alone.

Chorus: so she cried behind closed doors. She screamed, what does he hurt me for? Sometimes she wondered if there really is a God. Someone to hear the cry from her little broken heart. But she took a deep break, and swallowed all her pain. And she put on a brave face and sang.

Verse 3: the little girl grew up and tucked her memories away. She traded in the little house for a boy who wanted her to change. He pushed and he pushed her. He told her she wasnt good enough. She didnt have a prince to save her as her life got tough.

Chorus 2: and she cries as she falls to the floor. She screams, what do they keep hurting me for? Sometimes she wonders if there really is a God. Someone who hears the cries from her little broken heart. But she takes a deep breath. And Swallows the pain. And she puts on a brave face.

She will keep putting on a brave face.

MistyMagic October 13th, 2019

I am so sad to read that but I hope it helped a little to get your thoughts written down. You are not alone Red heart

Listening .... One Step At A Time