Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Not sure what to do

aquaCat5314 March 11th

I’m starting to accept that I’m in an unhealthy (mentally abusive?) relationship (married almost 14 years). But I do not know what to do or who to talk to. And not even sure where to put this post. Feel overwhelmed looking at the listeners page. Not sure how to leave safely and to stay safe until I have a plan.

CheeryMango March 15th

I want to commend you for your bravery in recognizing the difficult dynamics in your relationship. It's a crucial step towards healing and finding a path forward. If you're feeling overwhelmed, it's completely understandable. You don't have to navigate this alone. There are organizations and hotlines specifically designed to support individuals in situations like yours. They can provide guidance on how to leave safely and offer resources for creating a plan. Your safety is the top priority, so please reach out to a trusted friend, family member, or a professional for support. You deserve to be in a healthy and safe environment, and there are people who can help you get there.

aquaCat5314 OP March 18th

Sorry, tried to reply to you, but posted to the thread instead. Thank you for your response. Sorry, I would take down my post if I could. I think the consensus is I just need to be better.

aquaCat5314 OP March 18th

Thank you for your response. I think though, I’m the only problem. Even had a listener on here tell me I need to stop being selfish in the relationship. Reddit says one thing listener says something different. Reddit I think sees what they want to see. I just need to work on myself. I’m very sorry.

Peppery94 March 18th

@aquaCat5314 if you are unhappy and want to leave, that's not being selfish. When it comes to our own safety, that's our first priority. I completely understand how hard it is to leave when we don't know how things will turn out. There are programs and advocates that will help you. It does become very restricting on what you can do or say after getting into a safety program

mytwistedsoul March 18th

@aquaCat5314 I don't think what that listener said wasn't very supportive at all and sounds like they were gaslighting you. Have you tried talking with some else? Or maybe you could share more of what you're dealing with here in the forums? Please don't silence yourself or think that you're the problem just because of what a listener said here.

aquaCat5314 OP March 20th

@mytwistedsoul I have taken your advice and made a post to the forum.

mytwistedsoul March 20th

@aquaCat5314 That's great! It can take time for people to respond sometimes so try not to get discouraged. I really hope you get support here that's helpful and validating :)