Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Feeling Trapped

BrewedStardust1111 July 13th

TRIGGER WARNING ⛔️

mention of abuse

okay um…

😶

im stuck with no support and in an DV relationship. I have a lot of cognitive dysfunction due to abuse of many different categories from child hood till now.

Ive seeked support and there wasn’t much. Im not looking for someone to say go to a shelter. I have 8 children I have to protect and am legally required to stay in state. So I need to get my cognitive abilities in check.

its just very hard.

i need to become independent. Idk

My executive function is just about non existent and I no longer trust anyone. I have been through so much, I know not too many people are actually safe to risk myself or kids without being independent. I just don’t know where to start. I am breaking down.

blitheSun94 July 20th

@BrewedStardust1111

Greetings, Stardust,

Thank you for using a trigger warning and sharing your story with us. I am so sorry to hear that you have had a lot of trials and tribulations throughout your life. Trying to care for others while also trying to care for ourselves can often feel overwhelming. Don't be afraid to put yourself first. As I'm sure you know, one cannot pour from an empty cup.

I have found Cognitive Behavioral Therapy practices to be very helpful in managing my stress responses to trauma. The MyCBT podcast by Dr. Julie Osborn, LCSW, Psy.D. has been a useful and practical resource for me. It helps by teaching us to better understand the relationship between our thoughts, feelings, and behavior. This aids in interrupting the trauma loop which is often paralyzed by past events. 

I am not sure where you are in the world, but I also attend free support groups in my community. I highly encourage you to do some additional research in your area to locate the low cost/free resources in your area so you can feel more grounded in your independence and well-being. 

Additional Reading: 

It sounds like you have a great deal of insight into your experience which will only serve you. I hope you will continue to visit our community for on-going support. 

Enjoy your stay. 

💞

BrewedStardust1111 OP July 20th

@blitheSun94

thank you, 

I have been taking things step by step and basically reparenting myself rn. I definitely need a reset with cbt (which when in practice helps a lot.!)

Unfortunately in my area the support is just not available. I will however look into the resources provided!

Again,

I thank you for your thoughtfulness and support! 💗 

blitheSun94 July 21st

@BrewedStardust1111

You’re most welcome! I completely identify with reparenting as I have had to do that myself. It sounds like you’re steps ahead already! So proud of you for breaking the cycle for your own children. 

💞