Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

DID

bubbleFig686 February 9th, 2023

idk how to even begin the process of getting diagnosed, or seeking a qualified therapist…all the services in my area are either booked or really bad. my host would rather sit in denial than help out. i feel so stuck as to what to do…it’s so hard to talk about

fruityPond7887 February 13th, 2023

@bubbleFig686 Hello! I hope you are doing okay. I know the process of reaching out for help can be very overwhelming, but you are not alone! One way you could get started is by calling your insurance company and asking for a referral for someone in-network. There's also a great website from Psychology Today that can help you find a therapist that is in your area. I hope this helps and please don't give up. Finding a therapist can take some time, but you will find the right one for you! Good luck!❤️

mytwistedsoul February 14th, 2023

@bubbleFig686 A trauma informed therapist would be the best to talk with. They're more likely to understand and help with DID

InvaderStitch February 14th, 2023

@bubbleFig686

Getting diagnosed with DID can be a challenge and it can be really challenging to find a therapist who gets it. As mentioned, Psychology Today is a good resource for finding someone in the US. Depending on where you live it could be harder to find someone. I started therapy in 2012 and didn't get a diagnosis until 2020 because many professionals in my area didn't believe in DID. When my symptoms became extremely obvious in 2018 professionals still denied it. I ended up getting diagnosed at a trauma specific inpatient unit that specialized in dissociative disorders. By time I got to that program I had been completely gaslighted into believing I was the problem and that I just didn't have enough self-control and I was really blaming myself.

When looking for a therapist it's okay to ask them questions about their practice to make sure they're a good fit. Now I have a therapist who not only specializes in dissociative disorders, but who also has a dissociative disorder that she has learned to manage in a way that allows her to help those of us who have struggled to find someone.

While it's been a struggle, not giving up has been worth it. I have made so much progress in my dissociative symptoms and my system works together better than it ever has.

WorkingitThrough2 March 16th, 2023

@InvaderStitch

Wow. that is great news. this gives me hope but finding help is the issue.

DarknessSystem September 13th, 2023

@bubbleFig686

As a system to system, it is hard to deal with, believe me. Sometimes you feel different and that you do not belong. Maybe try seeking a psychologist, or have your doctor redirect you :3
Do not be afraid to reach out to anyone, it is worth it!

Remember, you are the best you...and do not let anyone change that for ya <3 /p

(Very late response :') )