Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

emotional abuse of a child

straightforwardPenny802 February 4th, 2015

When my partner gets angry she completely loses it at our grandson who lives with us. He has ODD and struggles with respect and following the rules. even after 5 years of therapy she still thinks that if we punish him enough or beat him he will respect her. She says horrible things and gives him extreme punishment. Then she refus3es to accept any responsibility for what she did wrong, it is all his fault.

While I agree that respect if important he is not going to learn it by being treated poorly. I want us to work as a team but I can't back her up when her behavior boarders on abusive. Sometimes I want to leave but I have zero legal rights to him and this would lead him with the sometimes abusive one. I wish there was an easy answer. Anybody got one???

lovingSailboat4455 February 4th, 2015

Proving the abuse can get the child out of the environment. Another option is always talking about it. Also counseling is an option for the situation. Goodluck.

TransAm85 February 4th, 2015

Wow I haven't heard that term in so long .. Oppositional Defiant Disorder. My little brother has that, as well as ADHD and Autism. My mom couldn't handle it. She used to spank both of us w/a metal spoon! I babysat my brother all the time when she was working .. He liked to play video games, Super Nintendo and Sega in those days lol, and Power Rangers and Jurassic Park toys. lol You just have to spend time with them and have a lot of patience. No Ipads back then. We'd go outside and play w/the neighbors or jump rope or draw in the driveway w/chalk hopscotch. Kids today don't know what fun is! Show him the old time fun! :)

navyZebra19 February 5th, 2015

Counseling or if there are more issues to talk, couples therapy...?