Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Seeking advice to help get over trauma

Whimsyplant May 30th

Hi! I'm 16 years old and I just joined this website because I'm seeking advice about overcoming my traumatizing experience I had when I was in the hospital for a week last December. For some context I have a long history of depression and my family is pretty emotionally unavailable. I have always had difficulty expressing feelings and bottling them up. Anyways, last December I went to the Hospital because I was experiencing severe dizziness and balance issues for weeks. Getting blood drawn and needles has always been my biggest fear and of course when I got admitted to the hospital I was getting my blood drawn everyday and sometimes multiple times a day. I've had to do many needle related tests too and for every procedure I had done I had severe anxiety/mental breakdowns. I had a break down literally every 45 minutes just because of the tubes I had in me or anything else and I was like this for the entire week I was there. Doctors never ended up figuring out what was wrong with me but I'm very thankful that the medication I was given completely cured me of all my symptoms but my problem is that I've had so many appointments post-hospital that kept reminding me about my traumatizing experience months after I got out and even now I can't help thinking about my horrible experiences very often. Usually I just zone out and think about (which makes me sad very often) but i've come to a realization that I need help getting over it. I've talked to my friends briefly about my experience and they are very supportive but I don't know why I still think about it..

AmyGrace55555 May 30th

@Whimsyplant I am sorry to hear that you had a bad experience. I can relate to the emotionally unavailable parts tho. My parents have never been there for me emotionally, so I understand.