Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

UK based therapy.

rowanspeaks February 7th, 2020

Hi, I'm 17 and looking at options for therapy. My main few questions are as follows:

Do I have to get my parents consent to see a professional?
Will I have to pay for therapy as I am under 18 and still technically in education (I'm an apprentice)?
Do I ask at my local doctors surgery about the option of therapy or do I have to go through other means?

Thanks, Rowan.

RarelyCharlie February 7th, 2020

@rowanspeaks Hi Rowan!

In the UK some things differ slightly between England, Scotland, Wales and N. Ireland, and healthcare is one of them.

My understanding is that you do not need your parents' consent from the age of 16, and possibly younger than that in some circumstances.

No one who receives therapy through the National Health Service (NHS) has to pay for it. Age and employment status are not relevant to this. However, there can be long waiting lists and there have often been complaints about quality.

Yes, ask a doctor at the GP practice where you are registered. Alternatively, in most of the UK you can call 111 for free health advice, including mental health. In some places they might put you through to the local mental health service provider directly. There are also other local numbers you can call depending on exactly where you are.

If you plan to pay for therapy yourself, in order to avoid NHS waiting lists, then again you can start by asking your doctor. However in this case finding a therapist who will agree to treat you might be more difficult. There's a useful directory at finder.bupa.co.uk (you don't have to be a Bupa member to use it).

There's free online therapy, of a sort, at Living Life, based in Scotland but available worldwide.

Charlie

rowanspeaks OP February 7th, 2020

@RarelyCharlie thanks so much for your reply! This was very helpful and I'll be looking in to what I'm doing in the future about it.