Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Day 22: Small Achievable Goals: Ready, Set, Accomplish!

SoulfullyAButterfly December 24th, 2023

This month, 7 Cups launched video and audio therapy! To celebrate, we’re doing 25 days of Gratitude, Self-Care and Personal Growth. Read more here.

ronnie-overgoor-edkcckxxrci-unsplash_1703399582.jpg

In the pursuit of lifelong dreams and aspirations, we often overlook the power of small, achievable goals. These seemingly insignificant steps can provide a solid foundation for building resilience, boosting self-confidence and fostering personal growth. 

Setting gigantic goals might seem impressive, but their intimidating nature often leads to procrastination. This is where small, achievable goals come into play, carving the path toward success into manageable portions, thereby making the journey less daunting and more enjoyable.

Here are some practical tips for setting small, achievable goals:

1. Set SMART goals: Ensure the goals you set are Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Relevant, and Time-bound. This simple and effective method contextualizes your goals, making them more clearer and less overwhelming.

2. Break it Down: Large goals can be intimidating. Try breaking down your major objective into several smaller, achievable steps. This not only makes your goal seem more manageable but also provides multiple moments of accomplishment.

3. Celebrate Your Progress: Every small achievement is a step in the right direction. Don't forget to pat yourself on the back for each milestone reached. This acts as a powerful motivator, helping you move onwards.

4. Stay Flexible: It’s okay if you need to modify your goals along the way. Flexibility enables you to adapt to changes and increases the likelihood of success.

Activity: "Journey to The Top of The Mountain"

Visualize a mountain representing a significant, long-term goal you want to achieve. This could be something like writing a book, losing weight, or learning a new language. 

Now, instead of seeing the whole journey as a single, gigantic leap, imagine building a staircase to the top - each step representing a small, achievable goal leading towards the ultimate aim. 

Start by listing ten small, achievable steps (goals) on the path towards your 'mountain top.' For example, if your ultimate goal is to write a book, the first step could be to write for 30 minutes every day. Make each step specific, measurable, and time-bound.

Then, set about ticking off these small steps one by one, celebrating your progress as you go. Through this activity, you'll see how the huge mountain can be scaled by taking one small step at a time.

Discussion Questions:

1. Can you think of an instance where setting a small, achievable goal helped you make significant progress in a larger project?

2. How might the 'Journey to The Top of The Mountain' exercise reshape your approach towards achieving your long-term goals?

SunShineAlwaysGrateful December 24th, 2023

@SoulfullyAButterfly

i do serf life goals yearly not to be confused with resolutions almost like a vision board and it works well for me. I look back every year and look forward every year …. It works I see growth I see positives and place lots of self care in there too …

HealingTalk December 24th, 2023

@SoulfullyAButterfly

Breaking it down into small tasks is the only way I can achieve a challenging project.

Focusing only on one small task at a time. Then doing it.

Planning requires seeing the "big picture", but for execution, I have to focus on one small task at a time.

The anxiety from thinking about the big result I have to achieve in the end, might paralyze me and make me get stuck.

4Jasmine December 24th, 2023

@SoulfullyAButterfly

Smaller, achievable goals towards: 1) better choices in foods in order to attain good health, 2) smaller steps towards full recovery from my spinal surgery, including continued addressing of the remaining sciatic nerve pain, and 3) the continued compiling of many notes and written sections for a future book, are each achievable 1st step goals towards larger plans and goals for 2024.