Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Day 19: Identifying and Overcoming Self-Limiting Beliefs

SoulfullyAButterfly December 20th, 2023

This month, 7 Cups launched video and audio therapy! To celebrate, we’re doing 25 days of Gratitude, Self-Care and Personal Growth. Read more here.

sage-friedman-hs5clnqbcoc-unsplash_1703066147.jpg

Self-limiting beliefs can act as invisible barriers obstructing your path to success and fulfillment. Often embedded deep within our subconscious, these underlying beliefs or rules about ourselves and our capacities dictate our actions and attitudes, preventing us from achieving our full potential. Recognizing and combating self-limiting beliefs is essential in personal growth and moving toward optimal well-being. 

Often, self-limiting beliefs are not factual but incorrect constructs we've developed, deriving from past experiences, perceived failures, or societal conditioning. They can take on the face of "I'm not good enough," "I can't do it," or "I'm not deserving."

1) Recognition is the first step towards dismantling these destructive notions. Start by questioning your thought patterns. Challenge your convictions - are you holding an evidence-based belief or a baseless self-limiting one? 

2) Next, cultivate self-awareness through mindfulness. Mindfulness practice allows you to become more aware of your thoughts, feelings, and behaviors, providing clarity and aiding in identifying those self-sabotaging beliefs. 

3) Once identified, it's time to eradicate and replace these beliefs with healthier, constructive ones. Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) offers effective strategies for this. It involves recognizing negative thought patterns and systematically substituting them with positive ones. 

Practical Activity and Discussion

1. Identify a self-limiting belief you may have. Example: "I can never do anything right."

2. Reflect on evidence that contradicts this belief. Example: "I successfully completed a project at work last week."

3. Create a new, alternative positive belief based on this evidence. Example: "I am capable and can successfully complete tasks when I apply myself."

Consistently adhering to this strategy will support your mental rewiring process, encouraging the development of healthier beliefs about yourself.

Please feel welcome to try this activity in the comments below and share how it goes.

Overcoming self-limiting beliefs fuels self-confidence, leads to mental resilience, and paves the way for achievement and fulfillment. It's a journey towards healthier, happier living.

KatePersephone December 20th, 2023

@SoulfullyAButterfly thank u for this exercise, butterfly!

4Jasmine December 20th, 2023

@SoulfullyAButterfly

I will be part of this as my personal time allows. I will return to consider and respond to each and every daily question. I just discovered this. Thank you!

amiablePeace77 December 21st, 2023

@SoulfullyAButterfly

Great post, thank you!

In the last years it happened that I sometimes had the thought "I can never tolerate this or deal with this" (in real life) but I started to tell myself "One step at a time, somehow you're going to get through this". I found out it's amazing what powers we can generate from the inside to manage challenges if we support ourselves. 

Note: I always try to find a different expression for "real life" because being here online is also real life. Any suggestion? 😊

4Jasmine December 21st, 2023

@SoulfullyAButterfly

Thank you for these exercises!👍💖