Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Relapse

Lorenzo517 June 27th, 2017

A common worry amongst people with addiction is the possibility of relapse. Many people go back to their drug of choice and others use other drugs or substances and others remain clean and drug free for a long time.

There are many reasons why people relapse and identifying those reasons can be beneficial in maintaining sobriety. Listed below is a short list of some of those reasons/triggers that may cause someone to relapse.

1 Boredom

2 Isolation

3 Loneliness

4 Work Stress

5 Pre-existing mental health condition

6 Arguments

7 Relationship Stress

8 Coping with a loss or death

9 People Places and Things

10 Physical Injuries Involving Chronic Pain

If you have relapsed in that passed, What triggered you to relapse? What plan have you put in place to prevent that trigger from causing you to relapse again

Reaching out and talking to someone, letting them know you're feeling like relapsing can help prevent a relapse and continue to maintain sobriety.

Johnmjohn September 3rd, 2017

@Lorenzo517

seems like relationship stress has been my reason for relapse lately. I know I could go back to my drug of choice and not think about it. What I learned last Time I relapsed was that it ultimately caused more problems in my relationship because drugs were the reason my relationship was struggling. Now I'm processing it all sober and clean so that I can come out a better person even if it did ultimately end my relationship and marriage. I'm working on not becoming a better person not for the marriage anymore and doing it for me instead. If I have ultimately nailed the last nail in the coffin of my marriage then maybe something good will come from it and it will allow me to have a better relationship in the future.

LeetheUnicorn June 28th, 2017

@Lorenzo517

Thanks for the great post, I have relapsed in the past because I didn't want to know how being sober really felt, it was so normal of me to not be sober. What helped me was watching vidoes on YouTube about how others stayed sober and watching them be so happy and not under the infulence made me realize that it is not normal to be under the infulence and being used to it doesn't mean that It is sonething that helped me.

Lorenzo517 OP June 28th, 2017

@TheAsh thanks for sharing. You know. I identify a lot with that. I was so used to being under the influence that just the thought of being sober was scary.

@Lorenzo517 Yeah but I am so glad that I got sober, I am 9 months clean now

@TheAsh Yay! Congratulations. I'm so happy for you. 9 months is a really long time ash. You've come along way. Keep up the good work.

@Lorenzo517

Thanks Lorenzo, It took a few tries but when I finally got there it felt great!

@TheAsh you are not alone. Not everyone gets it the first time. What's important is that you made it and you are sticking with the program. And thanks for coming in and being active I appreciate it.

@Lorenzo517

You're welcome!! and yes, relapses do happen but its what you take away from that relapse that matters. Make your relapses meaningful, if you can learn something from them then you still are making a change in the right direction!!

@Lorenzo517

You're welcome!! and yes, relapses do happen but its what you take away from that relapse that matters. Make your relapses meaningful, if you can learn something from them then you still are making a change in the right direction!!

@TheAsh couldn't have said it better.

roseMelody95 August 31st, 2017

I think sometimes it can be helpful to view relapes as part of the process towards recovery, since so maybe people relapes at least once, and it provides us with time to see what is or isn't working for us so far. Thinking too much about relapes / slips as a negative thing could keep people with the negative self-talk that they can't successed in recovering because they make one mistake. -- Just something to consider.

Humdy8 September 7th, 2017

@Lorenzo517I was sober for 12 months and then was diagnosed with breast cancer. I remained sober for another 6 months during surgery and chemo. With six treatments to go and some uncertainty about radiation therapy, job security. Broken friendships and being sick, tired and lonely. I relapsed 2 weeks ago and have continued to use.i mostly want someone to I can talk tio and can listen without judgement and regular suppport from my friends and family. I let myself down by self harmong when I really need self care. I'm going to join a breast cancer support group in the absence of friends who can cope with my situation including all the mental, physical and emotional challenges. I don't want to go back to that user lifestyle but I'm struggling.

carefulCurrent8337 January 8th, 2018

@Lorenzo517 depression. lonliness, hurt, abuse made me relapse

roseMelody95 February 8th, 2018

I think this is a helpful way to look at it:

DAMAGE CONTROL: DEALING WITH SLIPS, RECYCLING, AND RICOCHETS: https://hams.cc/book/damagecontrol.pdf

OptimisticEars65 February 24th, 2018

@roseMelody95

Interesting pdf titled. Thanks for the upload.

Ears

VinylFly February 25th, 2018

@roseMelody95 Thanks for sharing this helpful resource. I love the terminology used in it. Yay for harm reduction :)