Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

What is the difference between a choice and addiction ?

pluckySummer2923 December 28th, 2023

I have anger issues. I use alcohol and isolation to numb the feelings and not lash out at people. I choose this as my coping strategy. At what point does addiction become a concern? It’s been mostly working for many years, but my wife is worried. She says it’s unhealthy.

BeCreative1967 December 29th, 2023

I can feel your pain. Used alcohol like that for a wile.

Well, to answer your question: unhealthy is certainly is ;-) but compared to some other side effects of "real" medication it is moderate.

But I would definitely seek some professional advice if you are concerned - I guess we are not able to remote diagnose that.

All the best and a very good New Year 2024!

pluckySummer2923 OP January 18th

I reached out to the Veterans Administration for help. The psychiatrist I talked to this morning said I have a substance abuse problem. I argued with her that I don’t go through withdrawal or have cravings. She informed me that continuing to use alcohol when I know it’s unhealthy, after medical professionals have told me it will interfere with the effectiveness of the antidepressants I’m on, after my family has expressed concern, that behavior counts as a substance abuse disorder.

I’m still trying to digest that.

I got extra drunk this weekend and punched out the microwave. My wife was mad and sent me to bed to sleep it off. While I was asleep she went out and got a replacement microwave and then removed all alcohol from the house. When I got up she said I shouldn’t drink anything for a long time. After that, I agree with her. So no drinking and instead going to therapy. 4 days so far.

I don’t want to identify as an alcoholic. I’m not sure that I can honestly deny it. I’m crying inside.

tornwillow April 11th

@pluckySummer2923

interesting question….choice is subjective and addiction is a word often used out of context carrying stigma and shame.

Addiction is a behaviour that is medically a disease. Depending on what the addiction is can have more risks, judgement, supports, awareness and treatment.

Choice is a decision that may not be as simple as actually choosing. Choices are sometimes made for us, influenced or unconscious. Extenuating circumstances not always in control of the individual affect choice.

Addiction and choices can often intertwine but the only connection they have is if choice to overcome/explore/work through challenging addiction is possible to be carried out and indeed chosen.

ZmeiGorynich3 April 30th

Choice is making the decision to go and get your *** do some ***...  addictiond not being able to resit any truggers, temptatio. It's so strange to me that meth can be 1000 miles away and if you play it's dirty game a thought now turns to a plot, and at that point you are basically a human that is high without ever having done the first hit because what happened to me was physical manifesting that came from my sick mind and I was not well at physically or mentally. It only went away when the needle went in. @pluckySummer2923

tornwillow May 1st

Thanks for sharing

are you okay…my heart hurts and feels with you. Can relate