Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Issues keep compiling

mich765 July 22nd, 2023

Hi all:

I have an eating disorder, but never thought I had an issue with alcohol even though they are often co-occurring. I knew that when I drank it was way too much, but I thought that if I was only doing it on the weekends and not during the day, I was ok. I’m starting to meet with a new psychiatrist soon, and she said that I am not allowed to drink while we are adjusting medications because the results won’t be accurate. And she said that she would be doing surprise random drug tests, and will terminate our professional relationship if I am found to be drinking.

Since she told me this, I’ve been drinking even more. Kind of like a “last meal” mentality. I’m realizing that I have a bigger dependence on alcohol than I thought, because the idea of not drinking scares me. I use it so much to numb out and quiet the eating disorder thoughts in my brain. I know I need to find new coping skills, but nothing compares to using alcohol.

I hope this isn’t too much. I just wanted to put it out there to a community that hopefully understands.

toughTiger6481 July 26th, 2023

@mich765

Maybe you can see this is an awakening .... it is a positive step to see and KNOW the problem you have with alcohol is bigger then you thought. realizing this is a good thing then you can deal with it instead of rationalizing it is a small thing.

With this new revelation if you do not think you can overcome it tell your therapist that your struggle is bigger then you thought. perhaps she knew when she made strict rules besides interaction with any new medications.

jrk27 August 11th, 2023

@mich765

I had my eating disorder from age 14 to 32. Then struggled with alcohol off and on for years. I'm 52. I have over 2 years sober from alcohol. But my eating disorder started again when I got sober. The underlying part of all of it my entire life is my severe anxiety and insecurity, low self esteem, and perfectionism. I went to the same issue with medication for anxiety meds and counseling. My doctor put me on naltrexone to take away my cravings for alcohol and it worked wonderfully. It helped me gets sober. I am doing eating disorder meetings almost daily. There is eating disorders anonymous. And eating disorders both have meetings that are free. I am here if you ever need to talk or need a friend

jrk27 August 11th, 2023

@jrk27

That last one was eating disorder foundations.org