Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Drinking to deal with stress

discreetSail7107 September 6th

Hi all 👋

I’m struggling with knowing when to stop drinking in recent months. When I’m stressed out, it’s a go to. Me and my partner had some fights recently, some because of him but some because of my drunk behaviour and doing stupid stuff like getting wasted on red wine and coming home at 2am on a weeknight.

I know I’m not this person but I’m surrounded by people who abuse alcohol (and drugs) regularly. It’s so easy to just knock the drink back when you’re getting that dopamine hit and the negative dialogue I have with myself goes on mute. I feel like a disappointment to my partner and my self. I don’t like feeling out of control this way. I don’t want to be known as that girl who loves wine. There are loads of more interesting things about me. I guess I’m looking for support or tips for stopping this self-destructive behaviour. Thank you 🙏 

PineTreeTree September 7th

@discreetSail7107 You might try drinking a full glass of water in between each glass of wine when out with friends. It will help a little with health and with losing less inhibition. Drinking to release stress eventually just creates a lot more stress (as you know). Try to respect that this is really a powerful drug and you (like a lot of folks) are actually overdosing. Perhaps for stress reduction try to replace this habit with something like an enjoyable exercise.