Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Alcoholic Father

SquishyPig August 27th

Hello, may i offer a **trigger warning** for alcoholic father and such with health issues likely to lead to death. My family has come to the realization over the last many years the extent of my fathers alcoholism. We have realized it tore us apart even starting back in(and likely before) my childhood. I have many siblings who attest to this. I remember in middle school my father asking me (emphasis on middle schooler) to try to stop him from drinking. Now as a mid 20s adult. I and my siblings look back on our life and see the chaos he has caused and lack of respect and scars we can barely even notice completely but therapy may help us fully realize on our own eventually.

My father has had multiple strokes, at least one heart attack and is stage 3 or later kidney disease/failure. Doctors say he has no memory issues due to the strokes and so on yet my father speaks and behaves so very .... I don't even know the word. It's as if he is blind to his wake of destruction. His marriage with my mother is failing all thanks to himself. My mother put in so much effort even through her naiveness of believing he loved her for more than 20 years, might be on 30 years marriage actually. It's all so devastating.

It has made myself and siblings afraid of alcohol especially and we'd never touch other substances. Genuinely at a loss and have felt like I'm grieving the loss of my parents marriage for over a year and a half at least while they are still technically married. Also been grieving the loss of the father I thought I had. I've been stressed about so much else in life too so this has just been the cherry on top to make sure every day of my life is torture. All this is to say the man is still very much alive but in denial and at what cost? I basically feel haunted and gaslit and anything that could fit this situation. It all sucks and holds myself and my siblings back. Not that I don't have sympathy for my mother as I do very much. I just most relate to my siblings and myself and she is on a very valid and good path which I support for her healing and health. I do or did love my father but he is making it sooooooo hard and painful.

Anyways. Sorry about this rant. I've been powering through everything in life and this is just one of the biggest things on my plate and I am at a loss for how to not have him affecting me at all yet still wishing for him to actually put in effort to improve. I've left much details out as we have been pushing towards his improvement for years since during covid until now. But generally I have been having to deal with this in some way for my whole entire life since I can remember and I believe his alcoholism which he so strongly denies even still, is the biggest cause and main thing holding him back from actual improvement and I believe will likely kill him.

If anyone has nice things to say I am interested although social media hasn't been good to me at all so I may try to avoid socialization as a whole. Maybe just to know I'm not crazy or being dramatic is what I hope for out of this thread. I can also say I have personally for about a year or something (some yesrs ago)had a small battle with alcohol myself although thankfully cut myself off and can have a little every so often (sometimes with extreme fear) with trying to keep myself in check. So I understand it can be hard. Although cannot imagine how it'd be for someone to rely on it for more than 30 years and become such a horrible person due to it then never putting effort towards their own improvement while kinda still saying they care about their health yet, sneaking alcohol from the other people in the house and then watering it down like a child who doesn't know better.(yes he did it though wont admit)

toughTiger6481 August 27th

@SquishyPig

I am sorry you are going through this .... honestly people who have not gone through this often do not get it... unless they have survived through it.   Even tv/ movie portrayal does not do it justice. too often missing the personality change and write it off as other things IMO.  The long term issues and damages  with health and family connections ... and yes memory/ personality is very difficult to deal with.  

While you love your mom at some point you may ask "why did she not leave? ... and take you and siblings out of that" ....I know i am married to the  ( reformed )alcoholic and while sympathetic for a long time ..............my kids have very little sympathy left on the whole situation and have no issue telling me what i should have done. 

Remember at one point your dad was a different person and it is hard to mourn that that personality or person is no longer there...in my spouses eyes it all just happened to him ... he refused to see the connection that drinking was a choice and this is the result. 

It is ok to have mixed feelings  I know my son and daughter do ....they remember a different person who was not this way.... they do not have the sympathy regarding his heart issues or things they might have if it was not enhanced by his choice to drink long after the problem was identified .... and Me well i am just staying like vow said til death but each time he has something happen i secretly hope it ends. 

SquishyPig OP August 28th

You remind me of my mother. She has been a trooper through this though it has been tough for her and still is at times.

I never ask myself why my mother didn't leave with us children. I understand. Also I don't blame her. I may somewhat blame myself for not stepping up and stopping him when he told me but I don't even consciously do that if much. Most of all I blame him. For even more than jusy his alcoholism. I couldn't dare to explain everything but I do believe he has ingrained misogyny into myself and my siblings throughout our lives in part because ehe is so focused on himself. Particularly my sisters. We feel so much weight on ourselves and I don't believe we deserve to be so self hating and setting ourselves up for failure thanks to him. But it'll take so much time and effort to reverse.

Sorry for the tangent. I do believe you understand and I very much feel for you and hope you can understand you deserve so much. Given your situation sounds sooooo similar even with health issues. Thank you for your response. I value it more than I could probably emphasize.

toughTiger6481 August 28th

@SquishyPig

Sometimes  it just helps to know that someone really understands your situation.... i hope that you see you are not alone.