Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Scared to Leave College??

JarofSeeds627 January 19th

I'm almost a graduate. I technically completed everything in Winter term but my commencement is in Spring so I have to wait until then. It feels really weird not being a student anymore. I was (poorly) homeschooled (long story, tw), so I didn't really receive formal education since then until community college. I am so proud of myself for being the first person in my family to go to college and just for myself for getting past all of my homeschooling struggles like getting the GED since I didn't have a diploma.. but it's weird. I built up my identity as a student and while I intend to go back for a bachelor's/master's, I need to take a break after this associate's degree to volunteer/work on social anxiety/agoraphobia exposure more since I did take a lot of internet classes, mostly due to COVID restrictions though (also, tuition is expensive and I'm still not used to working). I'm not really sure what I need or need to hear? I just feel a bit lost and grieving at the moment.

helpfulstrawberry312 January 25th

Hi @JarofSeeds627!

First off, great job with completing your GED and associate's degree! It's a big accomplishment so congratulations, and I understand what you're saying about being a little scared to leave college. I mean, change of any type can be hard to deal with, and it seems like being a student is a very important part of your identity. And I can reassure you that you are not alone! It can be a bit overwhelming to have this role sort of disappear after graduation but hearing that you plan to go back to college to get a bachelor's or master's is great news so as long as you have a plan and can meet the standards that you have set for yourself, life will reward you on all the hard work and determination you have invested into it. Keep up the great work and though change seems scary, there lies plenty of opportunities ahead just don't lose hope and take care of yourself!