Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

How to be Better in Math?

EspressoGuy September 21st, 2017

Hey guys,

I'm extremely weak in math, and I don't care for it. I'm a grade behind in math in high school, and I feel down about it. While other Juniors are taking Pre-Calc, I'm taking Algebra II. All because I couldn't pass a standardized math test. Does anyone have any advice for me to seriously improve on math?

I can do it, but most of the time I've realized why I struggle is because I mix up numbers and signs, and when I do that, I get wrong answers and just give up. I've been to tutoring before, and they help. I had to go to tutoring for like a full year. After that, I still didn't pass the assessment. So I went back, got tutoring for a week and passed it, but the test was much easier than the first.

Thank you.

:)

Mirandaaaa September 21st, 2017

@EspressoGuy

Go at your own pace :) Maybe some other kids are better with math than you are, but we all have strengths and weaknesses! Personally, I'm a sophomore and in Pre-Calc, and I don't think I'm ANY better than sophomores in Algebra and Geometry! Last but not least, you can post the questions in the forum and we can try to help.

EspressoGuy OP September 25th, 2017

@Mirandaaaa

Thank you for replying, and thank you for reminding me that we all have our strengths and weaknesses. Math is one of my weaknesses. If I need help I

wishfulThinking123 September 22nd, 2017

@EspressoGuy I would use KhanAcademy to learn any concepts you haven't completely understood. It may sound cliche, but practice is the only way to get good at math. I solved over 2000 problems of differential calculus before I was confident about it.

@wishfulThinking123

Yeah Ive used KhanAcademy before and theyre pretty great. Maybe - just imaging having to practice that so many problems seems extremely boring and scary, but Ill seriously consider what you said. Maybe thatll be the secret to helping me get better at math.

Hatake510 September 23rd, 2017

@espressoguy

Please don't be sad that your friends are in Pre-Calculus class and you are not. They are not your competitors. Your competitor is you. Be better than yesterday. Go at your own pace. :)

GD

@Hatake510

Thank you. I won

Emma88 September 29th, 2017

I personally know people who were bad at math, but took remedial classes and it finally clicked. But also there are those who will never get it, no matter what to do. I'm more from the second category of people and I often use third-party homework help services like https://mathadepts.com/calculus/differential-calculus to cope with my calculus homeworks.