Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

How do you guys study things that you dislike vehemently?

wishfulThinking123 August 19th, 2017

I hate physics and chemistry but have to score well.

mimameid August 19th, 2017

@wishfulThinking123

Well, whenever I had to study for chemistry (which I loath with a passion), I always tried to study with people in the class who actually enjoyed the subject (and were smarter in it lol). You can always try starting or joining a study session/group if that's available.

Other things I've done is go to a place where I wouldn't be tempted to procrastinate on it. I never studied something I didn't like in my bedroom for instance. I always went to the living room of my place, or (even better) the school or public library.

Hope those suggestions helped some. Good luck on your studies! I feel ya.

happyCloud76 August 21st, 2017

@mimame

This is so true! I also do the same type of things. Especially since I'm highly likely to procrastinate lol

Justanormalgirl7274 August 19th, 2017

@wishfulThinking123 i totally understand you! I hate chemistry too! But still when i have to study i do it. For me , i try to read stuff and try to explain it to myself. I try to get interested in it, and it always works. It may sound odd but i speak to myself like im one of those professors who make things easy on youtube and all...and its like im the teacher and im the student too..so im talking to myself and reading it and explaining it to myself, with full confidence that i know it and if i forget something then just like science teachers do (:p) i consult the book and get back on track and start explaining it to myself again..if i feel distracted then im like "Wat r u doin! Pay attention! U hav to get good grades!" And i kinda wake meself up and get me back to studying. So thats how i study haha..hope it helps!

PS . If u wanna do something (or HAVE to do somthin) then first believe in urself that u CAN do that thing and then keep urself motivated...and no this is just "saying big stuff" even tho it sounds like it, it actually works

Justanormalgirl7274 August 19th, 2017

@Justanormalgirl7274 oops this *isnt just ....sorry bout the typo

RoseNightingale August 19th, 2017

@wishfulThinking123

I usually go on YouTube and watch videos about the topic(s) I'm having trouble with from instructors who make the subject fun. Did this for Microecon and it worked. Kept replaying the vids (they tended to be short and straightforward) enough to understand them.

For Physics specifically, my fear of failing and having to repeat the class won over my dislike. This was before I used YouTube to study. I had a routine where 3 days before the test, I would redo all homework questions for the chapters tested (no practice tests available) and time myself on how fast I finished certain questions.

AmyJulianna August 20th, 2017

I hate math, so I always connect with a friend who loves math and is very good at explaining things, which helps a lot.

Erato August 20th, 2017

I agree with all the others, I also do the same! I usually study with my friends who are good in it and like we brainstorm ideas to make it lighter! Or if I need to study alone, I also talk to myself and like repeating the things I have read so I can understand it clearly! :)

Marie6 August 21st, 2017

@wishfulThinking123 I agree with what a lot of others have said, studying in groups can help so much because even if you all don't love the subject, you might all understand different pieces of it and work together to figure out the concepts. Just make sure you're in a small enough group that you feel comfortable admitting when you don't understand something. Good luck, you can do it!

AnActiveListenerHere August 21st, 2017

I often find it that I manage to make what I hate most into something I actually enjoy with a few years of dedication- this happened for me in the case of pointe and chemistry. My advice is just to work hard at it- nobody likes anything at first. It might be easier to avoid, but I threw myself into it and thought about it/practiced all the time. Once you let the subject actively consume, it becomes easier to like.

For those specific subjects, perhaps studying in a different way make it more interesting to you, such as in a group. Learning with others may help you to enjoy the subject a bit more. It will take time to learn to love something that is difficult, but with committment- it can be done :)

StevenLR August 21st, 2017

Personally, the best way to study something you don't like is to find ways to make it more interesting. Sometimes digging deep into concepts that give you a hard time or you blatently just don't like will give you a better understanding of it, which you can then relate to something that you DO like. Of course, it's always easier to learn something you do like, so the ultimate goal is to find ways to make the topics you dislike, likeable in to you.

bluepineapple22 August 21st, 2017

@wishfulThinking123 I tell myself how much I want to get a good grade and pass the class. I'm a planner so I look towards the future a lot. I always try to think about what a bad grade in a class I hate would do to my future. It could drop my GPA or I could have to go to summer school. So I use that to make myself study for a subject I don't like.

Kevan August 22nd, 2017

@wishfulThinking123
I think it is just that we have to focus most and give lots of time to those subjects we hate. And it is just matter of 1 or 2 years, We have to realize the importance of it. If we fail in them, we would lose our degree altogether and all the efforts would go in waste.

Tazzie August 24th, 2017

@wishfulThinking123

Here are some articles that you may find helpful:-

http://tinyurl.com/yagoaqru

http://tinyurl.com/y7jscc5s

EmeliaThygesenLMHC August 25th, 2017

@wishfulThinking123

I have heard that rewarding yourself can be helpful in these situations. Spend a certian amount of time studying and then doing something fun.

Emma88 September 11th, 2017

Good tips you've shared here guys! Personally, I absolutely hate with a burning passion. I prefer doing my assignments with the help of https://www.assignmentexpert.com/math/algebra service. It works great for me!

luijones123 January 3rd, 2018

Thanks for visiting our site. This website contains the information which I was looking for. We provide reviews for assignment websites. Here you can check http://www.assignmentservicerating.com/a-client-review-on-allassignmenthelp-com/

comfortableHorizon21 January 4th, 2018

Yea I do. I hate every subject I studies.

shiningAngel90 January 13th, 2018

@wishfulThinking123 Often I study with friends for the subjects I hate or I am bad at as they motivate me to keep going and also explain things often in a clearer and easier way for me to understand. I also remind myself to work at the subject as I rather do it once than have to do it twice if I were to fail.

littlelittlelove January 17th, 2018

You all have shared such great tips! It's wonderful seeing our 7 Cups community grow and expand and have everyone helping each other! Thanks! :)

School can be confusing and hard on everyone around us.Lately, I have been checking out this blog on Tumblr and it's just a starting out blog, you know. BUT I have spoken to the owner and she is very excited to help others with their coursework and give them examples from her classes. She hasn't posted much but you can just see how enthusiastic she is about teaching.

I suggest checking out the posts she has and sending her a message about helping you with your work.

https://perfprepedu.tumblr.com/

Collaborating is always a good idea to push forwards towards success!