Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Should I Withdraw from University?

HorrendousHexapod April 15th, 2023

I’m just gonna get to the point with this post. I am a Uni student currently in my fourth year of study and am halfway through my first semester on break. Over the past few months, however, I feel as though my mental health has been deteriorating in ways that have been negatively affecting my work.

As of now I have currently had a meeting with a psychiatrist regarding my personal struggles and my worries, and I’ve even visited a doctor regarding a possible diagnosis for ADHD. Normally I find myself sometimes being unable to pay attention in classes, but as of this semester I feel like I have been unable to focus on anything no matter how much I make an attempt to, and I’ve also noticed that I’ve missed a lot of details regarding Uni work and emails that I’m not sure how I could’ve missed. I’ve just felt so out-of-it, more so than usual, and I don’t know why.

I also don’t particularly enjoy any of my subjects and only picked them because I didn’t have any other options available. In one of the subjects, I struggle to complete the work because there are times where I don’t fully understand what I’m supposed to be doing, in another I struggle because seemingly no one else can understand the subject, and the third subject I struggle with because I rarely ever have classes for it, so I sometimes focus on other subjects instead.

I just don’t know what to do right now. I don’t want to completely drop out, I only want to temporarily withdraw, but part of me is not confident that I will pass at all this semester if I stay behind. I’m partially worried that if I withdraw for the semester, the work groups I’m in will struggle in my absence, but the only group that I’m in at the moment is working on laboratory work and, if I’m being honest, I only feel like a burden in these lab sessions because I’m usually relegated to just preparing materials.

I do worry, however, that if I withdraw it would come across as me being lazy, but if I wasn’t in Uni right now I would still want to work. The problem is that my current job only has me working on weekends, so I think I would look for another job that offers more hours during the week, but I’m also kind of intimidated because I don’t really know where to look. I just don’t know what to do right now. Any suggestions?

juliak1968 April 19th, 2023

@HorrendousHexapod

Hello,

You're at a point where your routine is every bit as important as your studies. Can you fake it until you make it? I'd love to see you figure this out quickly so you can graduate and make yourself super duper proud. I'm sending calmness, strength, and wisdom your way. You really need to catch your second wind is all 😊

Blessings, Day

selfconfidentTiger8983 April 19th, 2023

Hi, dear. In my opinion, it may be beneficial for you to consider temporarily withdrawing from university to focus on your mental health and personal well-being. It is important to prioritize your health and seek professional help if necessary, as this can have a significant impact on your academic performance. You may want to discuss your options with academic counselors or other trusted advisors who can provide guidance and support. It is also important to develop a plan for how you can continue to work and support yourself while taking a break from university. Ultimately, the decision to withdraw or continue with your studies should be made after careful consideration and with the support of trusted advisors.