Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

BA in Human Studies

blueSea4088 June 5th, 2022

I graduated in 2012 with a bachelors degree in human studies, it is a major that was comprised of sociology, psychology and anthropology classes. So it’s been hard to figure out exactly what I can do career wise. I have experience as an early childhood teacher, children 3-4 years old. I even worked in a day care for a bit of time with 2 1/2 year olds. My passion has always been wanting ti help people, and I love children. I just don’t know if I want to go back into the classroom after being out of of for a while now.

some careers I think I would find fulfilling are a child therapist, possibly a school counselor. Something in the mental health field. It’s so hard to decide.

I just don’t want to make the wrong decision, and having been out of school for so long now, I’m a little intimidated about the idea of starting again.

I feel like my resume being 99% teaching is limiting me from other professions understanding why I would be interested in jobs such as HR, Receptionist, Etc. I don’t know if they think I’m over qualified or what, but it’s been very hard to get noticed outside id the education field. Maybe it’s where in meant to be, and maybe I need to get a masters in education, and then follow the steps to get state certified. I just don’t know what to do.

azureLake9999 June 5th, 2022

Hi,

I actually graduated in 2012 too, with a bachelor's in biopsychology, so it was kind of similar to you in the sense that it wasn't clear what director exactly I should go. I'm not 100% sure if this is true for all states, but in the state I live in, I was able to get a clinical mental health counseling license and a school counseling certificate with the same master's degree. It was very helpful because, after working as a school counselor for 5 years, I was able to switch and begin working as a child therapist.

Just thought it might be helpful to know that you can get the master's degree but not end up locked in to one position forever.

blueSea4088 OP June 5th, 2022

Thank you!

Jaeteuk June 5th, 2022

I know someone who took a Certificate course, that ended up teaching kids with special needs. Which is more of a one-on-one in the school district. I also know someone who just finished her Master's in Education. She had been teaching high school students Math and English at tutoring centres, after her Masters' I think she wants to change her teaching environment. When she decided to do her Masters' she had been out of school for at least 15 years, so it was a big decision for her, but she did it!

Knowing you like working with kids, it would be a good step to get further education so you can have more choices to the kind of work you'd like to do. If you want to change careers, maybe there are some technical certificates you can take that are specific to that career. That way, you could start working upon graduation. Just be prepared that you'll probably end up with an entry-level job at first, from the lack of experience, but don't be disheartened~

@blueSea4088