Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Community Lessons: On Building Trust as a Leader

Heather225 August 7th, 2023

This post is dedicated to our existing and aspiring project leaders! This is a big of a longer one, but bear with me - it's worth it if you're at all passionate about being/becoming a leader.

Of the many different leadership styles out there, our community's foundation is rooted in service leadership. Service leadership stands out for its human-centered approach, aimed to create an environment of trust, collaboration, and growth. It's not just about achieving short-term objectives; it's about building a better future for everyone involved. That’s what 7 Cups is about (see our culture guide if you want more context).

From the Admin to the Ambassadors to the Mentor Leaders, the Mentors, and all other levels, and the listeners, we are all in a position of service to the community, which means we are also in service to one another. We support each other by sharing our knowledge, backing each other up, giving, and receiving feedback, problem-solving, and all manner of cross-collaborating. Everything works only if we work together. Every leader is a critical part of our success as a completely human-driven, peer-powered platform.

Service leadership, especially in how it operates on 7 Cups, is a whole free course I strongly suggest you check out. These are skills you can use not only here but out in your everyday life, and professionally.

Today I am covering the importance of building trust. If you are a service leader in a role in which you oversee people, you won’t get very far if you’re people don’t feel they can trust you. The better the rapport, the higher the performance, the greater the collaboration, the happier the team.

Speaking from experience (aka all my failures and successes), here are the critical components to take into account to boost your team’s morale and earn their trust in you.

Communication: The one by which everything below is hinged on! The cornerstone of trust! Keep your team in the loop about project goals, expectations, and progress. Encourage team members to share their ideas, concerns, and feedback without fear of judgment.

Lead by Example: If you want to be trusted, demonstrate the behavior you expect from your team members. Show honesty, integrity, and accountability in your actions and decisions. If your team feels they can't come to you, that's a sign you need to analyze how you present yourself.

Empower and Delegate: Give your team members autonomy and ownership of their tasks. When they feel trusted to complete their responsibilities, they are more likely to step up and perform at their best. You don’t have to do everything (and you shouldn’t). Sharing the load shows that you trust your team members.

Active Listening: You all know what it is! Pay attention to your team members' thoughts and concerns. Actively listen when they share their opinions, and acknowledge their input. If they don’t feel comfortable sharing directly with you quite yet, I recommend giving them space with a form. Ask for their feedback. Don’t be afraid to put down a section to ask them for their constructive feedback for what you’re doing well and what you can do better. Remember, feedback is a gesture of caring. It’s not a judgment on your character. Do not shy away from it.

🔻 You might have to do things differently or change things that you’re not keen on, but there’s no I in team. Sometimes that means sacrificing for the greater good. Your team will notice your willingness to try and that’s a big deal and a sign of a good humble leader.

(Giving) Constructive Feedback: Provide feedback in a respectful and sensitive manner. Focus on helping team members grow and improve, rather than criticizing or blaming. (Have a short video.)

Recognition: Celebrate your team's achievements, both big and small. Publicly acknowledge their contributions and hard work. Forum shoutouts, 1:1 PMs, team dashboard announcements, anywhere that will make them feel visible and valued.

Consistency: Be consistent in your actions and decisions. Stick to your word, and follow through on commitments.

Be Reasonable With Expectations: Your peers are volunteers. They can’t be expected to show up every day. Be mindful of the quotas you set. Unreasonably high quotes are a slippery slope to burnout. Also be aware of your tone; and that you’re not putting pressure on your people. If you have concerns about their activity, talk to them openly.

Transparency: Involve your team in the decision-making process. Open discussions before making changes that will impact them. Explain the rationale behind your choices and how they align with the project's objectives. Share your vision and give your team space to expand it.

Accountability: Hold yourself accountable for your actions and decisions. Admit mistakes when they happen, and work with your team to find solutions.

Remember, trust is built over time through consistent actions and genuine interactions. It's not something that can be achieved overnight, but investing in building trust within your team will pay off in the long run with increased collaboration, productivity, and overall success.

🔻 Tl;DR If you want to be a trustworthy leader, listen to your people, share the work, be clear in your intentions, and remember that we’re together doing all this with the same purpose: to serve.

I'd like to extend the conversation to you all with questions for the 2 different groups:

1. Current leaders: What's worked for you? Is there anything listed above you didn't know before? Any tips or tools of the trade to share to help new and to-be leaders?
2. Aspiring leaders: What do you value in a good leader? What increases your trust in a leader? (Current leaders take note of these responses!)

Heather225 OP August 7th, 2023

Quick final note: This is an ongoing practice. We're human, and as such we're prone to mistakes, and that's part of our learning. Don't feel discouraged if you fall short some days, or just plain have off-days. As long as you're genuine and humble, you'll always be a successful leader.

August 8th, 2023

👏

SparkyGizmo August 8th, 2023

@Heather225

Hi H! 😊 ❤️ Just gotta' say, Wow! I read this last night, I read it again this morning, I have it bookmarked and you have no idea how highly, everything that you have said, resonates with me. For me, it's like....now that's what I'm talking about! It's as if I have heard angels singing.

Thank you for spending the time to share your thoughts. This is beautifully written. I see these things as the right way to be, best practices and is a great outline of how to become a great leader! This is the map!

It would be amazing if this could become a part of required reading for any in our community that would like to have a leadership position. It shouldn't just be read, but embraced and internalized. If these concepts aren't embraced and internalized by our leaders, well, we run a risk.

Over time, we could stop believing in others, become emotionally exhausted in roles, walk away from roles, decide to take our "hands off the wheel", become avoidant of certain areas and or certain people and just become most quiet. It's a sad moment went apathy creeps in.

*high fives* 😊 and big *hugs* ❤️

yourbuddy30 August 11th, 2023

@Heather225 Thank you heather for this post! I would like to start saying how beautifully the qualities of a good leader are written here. I believe each one of the above mentioned qualities are very helpful for a good team leader. I personally would put into use all of these qualities which will help me be a good leader

Unfortunately not many people are like that. For any outside environment there are very few leaders like this that makes it hard for a proper functionality. It's also very disheartening to see that. I really wish every leader in this world instills these qualities within them so everyone feel valued.

SparkyGizmo August 11th, 2023

@yourbuddy30

Hi Buddy! 😊 ❤️ I really like how you phrased all of this. I agree with you that it's rare to find these qualities in all leaders. I agree, it is really unfortunate. I have a tendency to lower expectations of others over time in an effort to remain positive, to try to still put out good work, take responsibility for myself and still try to show positive results.

I never want to be that "arm chair quarterback" that is taking the inventory of another if I, myself, have not been in that leadership position. (I wouldn't want someone doing that to me). I feel as if I have a very high threshold for becoming judgmental of others behavior and for quitting. I like showing *grit* in the face of adversity and remaining hopeful for change in a positive direction as being a "quitter" could make me feel bad about myself if I were to give up unnecessarily.

If I'm not getting the very basic essentials, just enough to get by, as well as being treated poorly over years, I finally know it's truly time to quit. At least this way I feel absolved and know that I truly tried my personal best. I am someone that has a high internal locus of control, I don't blame others for my outcomes, I am highly intrinsically motivated so I ask for very little, I am very high on the agreeableness scale as well as highly conscientious.

Something I say often is that....once we have lost hope, we have lost everything. Some days it's in our best interest to lose hope and move on. Sometimes it's good for the soul. ❤️

*high fives* 😊 and big *hugs* ❤️

CalmRosebud August 11th, 2023

@Heather225

@Heather225

I answered the prompt for "aspiring" leader even though I am currently a leader in many areas of my life and I do have some tips and tricks which I included with my response.

What do you value in a good leader? What increases your trust in a leader?

A good leader is someone who inspires and motivates others to work towards a common goal, while also treating everyone with respect and dignity. A few qualities that I value in a good leader are:

🦁🌹Empathy: a good leader should have the ability to understand and empathize with others. This can help them build stronger relationships with their team and create a more positive work environment. The skills of validation, reflecting, and sharing of one's own life experience cannot be under-valued.

🦁🌹Open communication: a good leader should be open and truthful with their team, communicating clearly and effectively. This can help build trust and accountability. This includes tackling problems head on as a team rather than allowing an "elephant in the room" to be unsaid and invisible. Stating the obvious is sometimes a clear step forward here.

🦁🌹Integrity: a good leader should have a strong sense of integrity, always doing what is right and acting with honesty and transparency. This is part of the integration of personality that I feel needs to happen between the Member (seeking support) part of ourselves and the Listener (delivering support) part of ourselves. When we are fully integrated, and Whole, we are capable of doing what's right for the right reasons.

🦁🌹Empowerment: a good leader should empower their team members to reach their full potential, encouraging growth and development. This includes giving ideas for projects, collaboration, fostering a sense of excitement and tying in what one knows about the personalities of one's team, to something bigger than themselves.

To increase my trust in a leader, I look for a consistent pattern of behavior that demonstrates these qualities. Seeing a leader who regularly demonstrates empathy, open communication, integrity, and empowerment can help build a culture of trust and accountability. I also look for a leader who is willing to listen to feedback and adjust their leadership style to better meet the needs of their team, someone who really listens.

Love and Courage 🦁, Tas 🌹

WinterRose9 August 11th, 2023

Aspiring Leader question: When it comes to leadership I value someone who can be open minded, empathetic, can delgate opening rooms on time and respect. What would increase my trust in a leader is actively participating in one session per person at least once a week doing a sit in and providing feedback or discussing anything that may need to be addressed.