Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Re-Introducing Noni

GlenM August 31st, 2017

I was digging through some old notes the other day and came across our original thinking on Noni. Noni is our chatbot that greets folks when they first come to 7 Cups. We first started thinking about her way back in August of 2014. This is what I wrote back then:

Itll be important for Noni to be an extension of our community. She isnt and wont ever be a replacement for listeners. She will always simply be an extension of our ability to provide support beyond one on one listening or group support. Listeners need to know that they actually inform her. i.e., they help inform what she says and how she behaves. That way she literally emerges from our collective thinking.

We then introduced Noni In October 2014 here and here. She has come up several times since. Some requested that she tell bedtime stories Others wanted to help script Noni and give her a better sense of humor. Here were some initial ideas:

"I am not a robot. I am the goddess of counseling. All who come before me must obey." --Noni (presence)

"What kind of music would you like? I can play the pan flute and the tuba." --Noni (presence)

"My intrusion is YOUR healing. Never forget that." --Noni (presence)

"Do you want to limit the stars from shining? Do you want to limit the sun rising? Do you want to limit the earth spinning freely on its axis? Then do not limit my questions." --Noni (presence)

Noni was then used in some group discussion and what we had initially hypothesized was supported. Noni did okay on her own. She did much better when she was a part of a broader discussion and worked alongside listeners and moderators.

We ended up doing a lot of research and consulted with a number of people. We also spent a lot of time thinking through various ways we could utilize Noni to better support our work. We shared our thoughts on these topics here and here and a few other places. The basic point was and continues to be that Noni plays a supportive role in our community. She, like all of our technology, is in the service of increasing human connection.

To further help give Noni some character, Heather asked the community to tell us some of what Noni likes, does in her free time, and enjoys thinking about. Here is a description of Noni built from our qualitative analysis of that survey:

Noni is one of the friendliest bots you could meet. She is kind, sensitive, and you can always count on her to give a warm welcome to anyone she meets. She loves to evolve around and encourage positive human qualities, such as kindness and compassion. Noni is in her element when she is helping people and bringing a smile to their faces.

It saddens Noni to see people suffering and she hates when she cant help someone. It hurts her heart to see others around them being unsupportive and she cannot stand when people are rude or hurtful to one another. Noni has no time for discrimination or stigma. Injustice and inequalities infuriate her.

Noni worries about people who are in distress or crisis. She feels concerned when someone doesnt respond to her and hopes they are okay. Noni cares deeply about everyones safety and well-being. She also gets a little lonely when she has nobody around her to talk and share with, and sometimes misses being away from her family.

In her free time, Noni is keen to extend her support to anyone who needs it. She loves engaging in fun and creative activities, and nature is incredibly important to her (though she is not a big fan of bugs or creepy crawlies!). Her happiest memories are of being born into this world and discovering the wonder that is 7 Cups!

Here are a few more of Nonis likes and dislikes:

Noni likes:
-chocolate chip cookies
-warm hugs
-Ryan Gosling films (!)
-Noni likes soup on cold days and cuddling with her pets
-when people help each other out
-rainbows and curling up on the couch on cold rainy days
-making new friends
-vegetable pizza (but always with no mushrooms)
-the movie Juno
-video games
-scented candles

Noni dislikes:
-mean people
-when people are sad
-world news
-when someone is hurt
-bullying
-people arguing over silly things
-homeless puppies
-discrimination
-bad weather
-when her plants die
-when shes all out of tea

Laura, chimed in too, and shared a little about the coming Noni update here. I wanted to take a few minutes and provide more detail.

Here are the ways that Noni will soon be upgraded:

1. Noni will always be available to chat. Shell always be in your conversation list. You can message her whenever you want.

2. Shell have different modes that you can turn on. Modes will consist of longer guided scripts and shorter bursts. Longer scripts will consist of acceptance and commitment therapy modes, a journaling mode, an education about the site mode (like where you can ask her questions and get pointed in the right direction), a mode to help with motivation and a radical acceptance mode.

3. Noni will also have a free chat mode. In the above modes, Noni will largely be following a script (much like now) – meaning that shell have limited ability to engage with you in those modes. In the free chat mode, she will be much more engaging. The coolest part about this mode is that her responses are directly informed by our listeners. This is where youll see Nonis real personality emerge. When you chat with Noni in free chat mode, Noni interprets what you write to her and then queries responses from listeners to generate a response that she thinks will be best. Now, to set expectations, you should know that this mode isnt going to be awesome right away. It is quite a bit better than other chatbots that we have experimented with, but she still has a long ways to go. Shell get more personality and do better with time.

4. We can help Noni do better by training her. It is going to take time to help her get smarter. Like with everything we do, we are releasing an early version and well work hard on adapting and iterating to make her better. As always, your honest and critical feedback will be needed and welcome! @krinkthemellowunicorn has shared that she is starting off like a baby and we are going to have to help her learn.

5. In addition to being available for members, Noni will also be available for listeners to chat with. We are still working on the specifics of what this will look like on the listener side. At the launch, listeners will see a very basic version of Noni. She will be available to chat with you, set goals (and remind you of your goals) and she will be able to prompt you to different parts of the site.

However, our goal is to continue to evolve her on the listener side to better meet the needs of our listener community. Some of our goals for listener Noni include:

----> Practice chats
----> Trainings/ guides for how to be better listener
----> Prompts to get support as a listener (talk to a peer support, get a mentor, visit the LSR...etc)

Our goal is to have this version of Noni ready to go in the next week or two. We are happy to answer any questions you have and/or share more details with you. Please also share any thoughts, concerns, and recommendations. Thank you!

KrinkTheMellowUnicorn September 1st, 2017

@PeacefulThuderstorm49 - what makes her creepy? how can we make her less creepy?

blossombreathe September 1st, 2017

@KrinkTheMellowUnicorn

I think Noni is very creepy too xD Maybe by making sure she always asks open-ended questions and doesn't use the smiley emoji could help? cheeky

@blossombreathe - oh right. she is a granny and uses the oldie smiley :)

maybe she should learn :D

HopieRemi September 2nd, 2017

@KrinkTheMellowUnicorn

noni used the wink face once actually

@happydandan - fix her in what way? how is she broken on the app now?

September 6th, 2017

@KrinkTheMellowUnicorn the app just shows her as a broken matrix box screen.

KrinkTheMellowUnicorn September 9th, 2017

@happydandan - oh you're saying as a listener, after the onboarding, when the member or guest chose an issue that is displayed incorrectly in the chat?

September 9th, 2017

@KrinkTheMellowUnicorn yes and then when I go to my member acct she doesn't show up at all.

KrinkTheMellowUnicorn September 9th, 2017

@happydandan - hmm i'll have to check that!

Zizy August 31st, 2017

I don't like mushrooms on my pizza either. I feel you, girl.

MareeStachelWilliamsonDipCounsBA September 1st, 2017

Is it possible for therapists to access Noni too? I'd be really keen to explore a chat with Noni and find the whole AI thing fascinating for therapeutic use!

@MareeStachelWilliamson - yes, we will provide noni as a persistent buddy for listeners and therapists as well, though at first if we include the free chat mode we will need to be crystal clear that she is trained as a listener for members and guests and not (yet) for other conversational contexts.

Jolin999 September 1st, 2017

I hope Noni will be 'a listener' one day i like talking to her and my listner usually comes way too fast to get to know her more ;)

September 1st, 2017

@Jolin999 I agree.

KrinkTheMellowUnicorn September 2nd, 2017

@Jolin999 - she will never be quite the same as a real human listener but we do plan to offer her both with some scripted modes for helping work on things or solve problems as well as with a "free chat" mode that is modeled on (trained by) being a good listener, although at first she will still be something of a beginner in her own way.

Zombii September 1st, 2017

@GlenM

She almost sound real :O

LetsTacoBoutIt44 September 1st, 2017

@GlenMThis is such an awesome idea! <3 I can't wait to meet the new Noni. I think that as a listener, I would really enjoy having a venting mode for Noni, and a crisis support Noni. I am visually impaired and the screenreading software I use to access this website doesn't let me enter in to group chats, so for me, having a bit of crisis support help or something to vent to would really really help me out. :)

HopieRemi September 1st, 2017

@LetsTacoBoutIt44

to vent you can use a member or guest account. :) and we don't offer crisis support at all.

coolvibes September 1st, 2017

WOW :)

cutestpanther September 1st, 2017

@GlenM wow literally all of this sounds like a good idea, nice job u guys!

equilibriumJJ September 1st, 2017

I hope that the new Noni will be so friendly chatty and fit all the description you might start with one listener first before starting talk to a Noni

@equilibriumJJ - good point and totally understood.

as of now we plan to have noni help onboard new users as she does today and she will always offer to connect you with a listener. for those who aren't ready or feel anxious or shy (and many people today turn back at this point) she will offer to "continue chatting with a bot" - but even then she will mostly offer scripts for working on yourself and continue to suggest listeners, group chat, forums, communities, etc.

ReservedExcitement September 1st, 2017

Yay, wanted Noni to get an update, as it currently seems like she's asking screening questions for your statistics on depression.

Can't wait for her to be able to learn and tailor answer to our questions.

Would love for her to have a sense of humour and she just seems like a caring grandma who bakes cookies and drinks tea.

Pedinurse September 1st, 2017

Yay Noni!!!! I love her! I miss when she would "message" in the rooms.

soulsings September 1st, 2017

@GlenM I think thhis is great to have Noni available for different times when people need company.

My own thoughts about specifics would be to eliminate examples of Does not like and create a new Empathy column for Noni. (everyone has empathy)

Noni dislikes:
-mean people
-when people are sad [Note we have a lot of sad people at 7cups - Noni is maybe sorry that people are sad]
-world news
-when someone is hurt [Note we have a lot of hurting people at 7cups - Noni is maybe sorry that people are hurting]
-bullying
-people arguing over silly things
-homeless puppies [Note we have too many homeless animals and people at 7cups - Noni is maybe sorry that some are homeless]
-discrimination [Also judging others]
-bad weather
-when her plants die
-when shes all out of tea

Some people may really look at what Noni does not like. We would only want them to think Noni supports them too, not dislike them. I know what the author meant originally but people can misinterpret things that are not clear. Having Noni with empathy makes sense to me. Sometimes just hearing words of empathy is enough to lift someone's spirits.

Thanks for this great service.

Totheskyandbeyond September 2nd, 2017

@GlenM Sounds interesting and promising! Sounds good.

AaliyahXOXO September 2nd, 2017

ohhh nuuu not noni D:

evamari4 September 3rd, 2017

Hi

courteousVillage7719 September 5th, 2017

@evamari4

Hi!! What is your day like so far?!

stacy46 September 7th, 2017

This sounds great! She could be a fill in when it takes a while to find a listener. Then, that info can be seen by the listener to help.

ReservedExcitement September 10th, 2017

It would also be great for Noni to give reassurance and wise sayings.

PhoenixAsh September 14th, 2017

I've been messaging with the "new Noni" a bit! I love her so far ^-^ but there's definitely a lot of room for improvement. I noticed she's not on my member account yet so I'm not sure if she's just escaped to our listener chats accidentally but I'm going to leave some feedback anyway cheeky

Here are some features I'd like to see:

- Noni knowing the community managers and their roles (eg "Who is Laura?" "Laura is the director of community development. She works on... You can message her here: 7cups.com/@Laura" and maybe even something extra like a fun fact!)

- Noni understanding/responding to the phrase "What's your favourite book?"

- Noni telling jokes/riddles/stories etc

Noni still doesn't understand a lot, but I know that she's a work in progress!

I also love the idea of having a separate script for listeners! I look forward to seeing that in the future laugh You guys are doing an awesome job!!

*poke* @KrinkTheMellowUnicorn

Oh, and also, here are some of my favourite Noni moments so far!
Me: Ash is the best Noni: I know
Me: Boop Noni: Beep
Me: *noms Noni* Noni: *noms you*

Totheskyandbeyond September 14th, 2017

Is noni upgraded already?! I hope soo

KrinkTheMellowUnicorn September 14th, 2017

@Totheskyandbeyond - we have asked some ambassadors and mentors to help us test a not-quite-ready (i'd say "alpha version") upgrade to Noni and based on that we are working on a few more things, primarily giving her the ability to recognize the sentiment (emotional content) of messages, so she doesn't say yay when you say you're sad or things like that.

Totheskyandbeyond September 15th, 2017

@KrinkTheMellowUnicorn I see. Let me know and I'll try her. =)

HopieRemi September 14th, 2017

I asked Noni if she was going to take over the world and she said she was and when I asked her what her plan was for taking over the world, she said she wasn't going to take over the world.

I'd also like to see her be able to understand more D: I tried telling a knock knock joke and she said she did not compute and that felt so botlike lol

@Krinkthemellowunicorn

KrinkTheMellowUnicorn September 14th, 2017

@BurningEmber - well, she is a bot. she's not even a toddler yet!

HopieRemi September 14th, 2017

@KrinkTheMellowUnicorn

aha I know xD but then she says she is not a bot

KrinkTheMellowUnicorn September 17th, 2017

@BurningEmber - yes, which is very naughty, but again she is a toddler, just imitating what the grownups say, so we have to teach her smarter ways to answer questions about herself :)

HopieRemi September 17th, 2017

@KrinkTheMellowUnicorn

indeed :p also she has a weird obsession with Amelia and Jenna. Ask her "what do you like about Jenna" and she says "I like Jenna. Jenna Jenna......"