Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Grief and Loss

resourcefulPond1641 September 14th, 2021

As someone who was struggling with both intense grief and loss; after I came back to this site after a break, it took me a long time before I realized those things were still supported here; but they were now under General Support. I think that feels inappropriate; and I never would have thought to look there, because it seems to me likely to be a very different type of person and issue that would cause someone to look into general support, rather than someone looking for specific help to due to going through intense grief over the traumatic death of someone close to them as I was.

I understand that that area wasn't actually being used that much; but somehow having it under the area of General Support seems even worse, because it feels so dismissive to me, as if it's not a serious enough this to be allowed it's own area. Or even to be mentioned in the title would have made it at least easier to find (e.g. General Support + Grief and Loss). I'm not sure how to solve this exactly, but I think this is something that needs to be addressed. If it was easier to find / signposted better maybe more people could actually find support there? Or maybe it would be better to let it have it's own area, even if it wasn't used as much. Because it's such an important topic.

Intrested if anyone else has any thoughts about this?

resourcefulPond1641 OP September 14th, 2021

Just wanted to also add, that where you can click for resouces in this area, most of them seem to be out of date; and also none exist at all for grief or loss. This clearly needs to be adressed as soon as possible. I'm sure everyone working on this site has a lot going on, as do I; but I think this is something that should be highlighted as a priority. Even a basic link being added there would be better than nothing at all.

QuietMagic September 17th, 2021

@resourcefulPond1641

Thanks for the feedback! Tagging the community mentors for the General Support community so that they can see it:
@SnailPurple @lucy2 @milkoreos @shiningSky3745 @sia1325

It sounds like there are a few different actionable feedback items here:
1) Add grief/loss to the list of topics in the description for the General Support community
2) Add resources for grief/loss, or if they already exist then put them in a noteworthy place where they can be easy to find
3) Possibly relocate grief/loss into its own subcommunity

I'm not sure if I agree with #3, but I agree with #'s 1-2 and addressing those would go a long way toward resolving the concerns behind #3 (i.e. make help for grief/loss easier to find, show some love/attention for this issue)

Thanks!

SnailPurple September 17th, 2021

@QuietMagic

Thanks for tagging me in this! I will be sure to address this asap!

resourcefulPond1641 OP September 17th, 2021

@SnailPurple

Thank you for looking into this!

QuietMagic September 26th, 2021

@SnailPurple

Hi--it's been a couple weeks since this thread was created and it doesn't look like any changes have been made to the General Support community. I was wondering whether there are still plans to implement these changes. Thanks!

resourcefulPond1641 OP September 17th, 2021

@QuietMagic

Yes, I think that even just taking action on the first two points you listed would be really helpful. I appreciate that you took my feedback seriously. It means a lot to me, especially since this is such an emotional topic for me.

CheeryMango December 12th, 2021

Hello @resourcefulPond1641. Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. Taking you and @QuietMagic suggestions into consideration, the following changes were made:

1. Grief and Loss was added to the description of General Support
  2. All of the Grief and Loss forum posts are now under one forum HERE
  3. A subforum for Grief and Loss Resources was added to the community. You can find it HERE

The overall list of Grief & Loss forums

• The Grief & Loss Forum
  • Grief & Loss Resources
  • Coping Mechanisms for Grief & Processing Emotions

QuietMagic December 12th, 2021

@CheeryMango

Thank you!!

Anooshay September 13th

@resourcefulPond1641I appreciate you sharing your story. I recognize that categorizing loss and sadness under general support could come across as condescending. It's a good idea to give it more visibility or designate a specific area, like you suggested. It might make it easier for others to get the assistance they require. Let's see what more people think about this proposal.