Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Feel like I can't talk about self harm.

CannedPears October 19th, 2020

I spent some time in a psychiatric ward a few years back. I was suicidal and was scratching myself. Since getting out I have mostly refrained from self harm but tonight I scratched myself. Whenever the topic of self harm comes up I get scared and feel like I can't talk about it or I may get admitted again. It feels like there's this threat of hospitalization if I dare mention any thoughts of self harm or suicide.

Helpisgolden03 October 24th, 2020

@CannedPears

your concerns are totally valid! There is still such a stigma surrounding self harm! Many don't understand that it isn't a way of trying to kill yourself, but it's a defence and coping mechanism. It's important to have a safe place to talk about it. You've come to the right place. I have self harmed for 14 years so I'm always open to talk!

3quarterspotato October 19th, 2020

@CannedPears

You should know that when you're online, you can feel safe in confiding in others, since they won't know your true identity and there is no way they can hospitalize you.

I couldn't really understand why you do self-harm, but I hope that your life becomes better soon.

If you're trying to stop committing self-harm, you should challenge yourself to stop for 21 days, that is how long it takes to break a habit. I hope this does not in any way come off as offensive.

If you need to chat, I'll try to be here!