Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

5 days clean :)

pw123 November 8th, 2022

might be a small achievement but i'm happy.

the fact that i'm proud of myself is an achievement of its own, i think. i used to feel worse about staying clean - i would think to myself, "you must not really be struggling then. you're just being dramatic about everything." or "you don't deserve to recover/go this long without it." i haven't had those thoughts lately. i feel proud of myself instead. and i don't hate myself for relapsing when i do.

i don't think i'll be able to recover like this though. given that i have no friends or support, all the reasons i started and keep going, traumatic experiences i never really dealt with..

but i'm doing my best. some things that help me when i'm having thoughts are chatting with someone like at trevor project or certain listeners here; making myself as comfy as possible with blankets and cozy clothes and holding my favorite stuffed animal while watching a comfort show (that way not only do i feel safe and distracted but i'm too comfy to get up and get my sh tool lol); something else from my cards (i have four index cards with sh alternatives, i don't use them often anymore but it's like distractions, self-care, outlets, and sense. so for example sense has bullet points like splashing water on my face while outlets would be like listening to sad music or writing); or a combination of all.

thanks for reading :)

Sunisshiningandsoareyou November 8th, 2022

Aw hey hey @pw123, so many reasons to be proud of for sure, acknowledging the progress made and allowing yourself to feel proud is indeed something to be proud, also not hating on yourself for relapsing, and being more gentle. So glad you've found lots of ways to comfort yourself that make you feel less alone and safer. All about trying and doing our best, taking it one day at a time. You're doing so well indeed and I'm super proud of you too. <3

pw123 OP November 8th, 2022

@Sunisshiningandsoareyou thanks :)