Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

SHA #4: Calming Affirmations for Difficult Moments

ASilentObserver March 21st

Hello all, 

Group Support organizing the month of Self-Harm Awareness Week,  the focus will be on discussing general awareness, and support, and celebrating milestones and small steps. This will be an opportunity for all of us to come together and extend our support and compassion to all who struggling with self-harm. 

Life throws its curveballs, and sometimes we feel like we're drowning. You might be feeling overwhelmed and lost, and in those moments, the urge to self-harm might arise as a way to cope.  

When you find yourself in those moments, having a set of affirmations can help ground you and bring a sense of calm. Affirmations are powerful tools that can shift your mindset and provide comfort in difficult times. Here are some affirmations you can repeat to yourself when you feel overwhelmed or tempted to harm yourself. 

• "This feeling is temporary. I will get through this." 
  • "I am worthy of love and support. I will reach out for help." You deserve to feel safe and cared for. 
  • "I am strong and capable. I have faced challenges before, and I can face this one too." You are more resilient than you think.
  • "My pain does not define me. I am more than my struggles." Pain is a part of life, but it doesn't have to control your existence. You are a complex and worthy person.
  • "I will focus on what I can control, my breath, my thoughts, and my actions." 
  • "There is help available. I will find a healthy way to cope." Self-harm is not the answer. There are healthier ways to deal with difficult emotions. 
  • "I am worthy of healing. I will take steps towards feeling better today." Start small, with one positive step towards self-care.
  • "I deserve to be treated with kindness and compassion, especially by myself. I choose to be gentle with myself in times of distress."
  • "I am not alone in this. Some people care about me and want to support me through this struggle."
  • "My worth is not defined by my struggles or mistakes. I am inherently valuable just as I am."
  • "I have the power to choose how I respond to this situation. I choose to respond with love and understanding towards myself."
  • "I acknowledge my pain, but I also acknowledge my capacity for healing and growth. I am worthy of healing."
  • "I forgive myself for any past mistakes or shortcomings. I choose to let go of self-blame and embrace self-compassion."

Please know that affirmations are most effective when repeated regularly and with conviction. Find the affirmations that resonate with you the most and make them a part of your daily self-care routine. If you are struggling with self-harm, please reach out for support. You are not alone, and there is hope for healing. We are all here with you to listen to and support you. 

If you have any affirmation that you use, please share it with us here. Also, let's discuss and share our experiences with affirmations during overwhelming moments. All thoughts are welcomed. 

Other posts in the SHA series: 
Heather225 March 21st

mantras are powerful. they are a way of slowing yourself down and being mindful. i use them to talk myself down and summon courage.

"this feeling is temporary. i will get through this" - that one has saved me countless times.

great thoughtful post!

MercivalGreenthumb March 22nd

I'm sorry but this just all seems so shallow and vapid. 

I'm glad if it helps someone, but I just get violently sick the moment I see something like this, always have.