Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

narcassist mother

emzy73 February 15th, 2015

Has anyone got any experience in helping me with having a narcissistic mother? Or anyone else relate to this post and can share any helpful information please

Jadie February 15th, 2015

Hi @emzy73,

I?m really sorry to hear you?re having this experience with your mother. While this isn?t something I have personal experience with, hereis a resource I?ve found helpful with understanding the effects of emotional child abuse, and they have a page about narcissistic parents. I hope it can be helpful. Here are a list of listeners who may be able to understand from experience or a higher level of training, if you?d like to connect one on one with them for further support. Thanks for reaching out for help - you are not alone!

emzy73 OP February 16th, 2015

@Jadie, thank you for replying i will definitely look into those links and listeners

emzy73 OP February 16th, 2015

I have learned alot from those links

UnambitiousKitten February 18th, 2015

My mother is a narcissistic, pathologically lying, sociopath so I totally know what you're going through. I had to cut her completely out of my life, and when she wouldn't abide by my wishes I had to get a restraining order. I still have to deal with the damage she does to the people around me though. Anywho, the best advice I can give is to do what I did. Don't allow negative people to be in your life.

emzy73 OP February 18th, 2015

@ unambitiousKitten thanks for the reply. Im sorry to hear you also suffered the same. I haven't had anything to do with my mum since 2008 unfortunately most of the family then cut me off totally. I speak only to my older brother and now he also is shunned the same. I feel better having no contact but im also left with long lasting psychological problems from years of putting up with her

UnambitiousKitten February 19th, 2015

It can be rough. Even though she's mostly out of my life I still struggle with a LOT of anger toward her. Forgiveness is all well and good but I've forgiven her a thousand times and it simply never sticks. The anger is still there. Even when she's out of my life she's still in my brain.

It's possible that there are many other family members that feel the same way you do but they're afraid they'll be shunned as well. You could try contacting the mostly likely people one on one with the promise that what you say will stay confidential...

emzy73 OP February 19th, 2015

Yes you're right i still can't get her out of my head. Im constantly asked why do you have nothing to do with her, oh surely she's not that bad etc. The rest of the family when i have seen them out and about purely take her side. Won't even let me say my side off things. I decided now they are just as bad as her. My brother is also cut off from them as he dared cross her too