Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

feature request and profile suggestion!

Ang775 November 3rd, 2015

It would be nice if people would put their FIRST language. Many people in the world "speak" English, but I want to speak with a native speaker, whose first language is English. Seems a huge personal effort to sift through people to get that information.

I understand adding features can be difficult at times, so I encourage all listeners to post in their profiles what their FIRST LANGUAGE is. It really helps connect. I'm a language-oriented person and ESL-based empathy just doesn't cut it for me. (I used to teach ESL and one of the reasons I left it was I don't like dealing with poor English!)

Anomalia November 4th, 2015

@Ang775 - I can understand your frustration, but there could be concern that if people only put their first languages, we lose some of the ability to connect in other languages.

If, for instance, I was a native English speaker who also spoke Swedish, we might have fewer Swedish speaking listeners, and my ability to have that in my profile could really help Swedish members find someone who could speak with them.

If you are browsing listeners and trying to connect with a native English speaker, it could help to check the profiles of listeners and see what country they are from (flag displayed by their name). It's not fool-proof, but you will generally have more luck with USA, UK, NZ, and AUS based speakers, I imagine.

Hope that helps!

Ang775 OP November 4th, 2015

@Anomalia @Anomalia I didn't say ONLY put their first language. I said IDENTIFY their first language as being such

Doesn't help. Tons of immigrants in USA and UK.