Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Personal Information

MellonCollieInfiniteSadness August 9th, 2016

Hello. I tried to ask this on group chat room but as always was ignored just like most members here who isn't anyone's friend. But anyway if someone help I'm glad.

I wanted to know if listeners really have to ask personal information like name, age and country. I thought it was forbidden. But all the last 5 chats I had they all were the same. When I refused to say to one they said they needed that info to help me. And when I just told my name to other they asked if the profile pic was really me. I didn't feel comfortable at all with any of this. Can they do it or not?

RarelyCharlie August 9th, 2016

I suggest you report all 5 of them. They don't need that information to help you.

It's not actually forbidden, but listeners should understand that we're here to listen, not to ask irrelevant questions.

I hope you've found some listeners who focus on what you want to talk about. If you'd like to chat with me, feel free to send me a message. I won't ask you questions unless they are directly relevant to the things you are telling me. If you don't want to tell me your name, age and country, that's fine by me.

@MellonCollieInfiniteSadness

Sierra2018 August 9th, 2016

@MellonCollieInfiniteSadness As listeners, we are DEFINITELY NOT allowed to ask those type of questions because they are irrelevant to what the topic is that is being discussed. I am incredibly sorry that the listeners that you were talking to had made you feel uncomfortable. If you every need someone to talk to you can always PM me and I will get back to you as soon as I can! I am a non judgemental person and I try my best to understand each member and guest that I talk to as if they are a close friend of mine. Let me know if you ever need someone to listen. :) I hope that you have better encounter with the listeners here on 7 Cups of Tea.

MellonCollieInfiniteSadness OP August 9th, 2016

Guys, thanks a lot for answering, honestly I'm having terrible experiences with listeners on this website and I think it should be MUCH more restricted to be a listener. 6 listeners I talked to, one after another, either insulted me, asked personal information or just didn't even care what I was saying and blocked me for absolutely no reason. And even used the excuse that my chat "just appeared there". I'm not stupid, I know you have to select a chat. There was a long time I didn't use this website and I'm feeling really disappointed because I feel like I'm just being judged all the time and my issue is ignored. I did report them as you said but I don't think that helps... They will be still talking to other people like this and that just makes me so angry. I don't know if I will keep using this website anymore. But thanks for answering, that was the most attention I got here today after six chats.

bookworm4 August 9th, 2016

@MellonCollieInfiniteSadness~ Thank you for reaching out to us and im sorry that you had a bad experience with some of our listeners. Please know that we're here for you and anytime you do want to talk or vent out you can messsage me or any of the listeners who have replied to you. I hope that you will try out one more time and find the listener who will support you.. please know we're here for you :)

RarelyCharlie August 9th, 2016

Your anger and disappointment makes perfect sense. It seems to me there are two things to fix here.

One is that you need to be able to find listeners you can talk to with confidence. @Sierra2018 and I both understand this situation and you are very welcome to message either of us, or both of us. Another way is to go to Browse Listeners and look for listeners who are verified and who have helped a lot of people. Read their comments to get an idea of their style. It's more work for you, but it avoids having to take your chances with the first listener who comes along.

The other thing that needs to be fixed is the way people who get listening all wrong can sign up so easily and cause so much distress. You've played your part in fixing that by speaking up about the problem and reporting them. You're not the only one who wants changes to the system, but you can't do anything more than what you've done. Fixing it will be slow, I think, because there's disagreement on what needs to be done, but I do think it will be fixed gradually, and because of people like you who have spoken up.

@MellonCollieInfiniteSadness