Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

I have a suicidal listener. What do I do??? I am serious.

Roland February 12th, 2015

She has admitted to me that she has cut her wrist today and the reason was to "kil my self tbh". Who do I contact with 7 cups????

If I call 911 I have no information for them other than her tag and her being affliated with 7 cups

beautifulMist32 April 11th, 2018

@Roland you should refer them to the national suicide hotline.Provide them with the number.

Jake February 12th, 2015

Hi, Roland! Thank you so much for reaching out. You can send an email to community@7cups.com with this information for this to be taken care of. I apologize that you have had this experience. I invite you to connect to a new listener. If you'd really like you, you could send them this message. "I really think you should get some help. Here is the link to the suicide hotlines:�http://www.suicide.org/. I wish you the best." [Edited by FM Erato, 1/6/19 to remove misleading information] This will insure that the Listener knows that they should reach out for help. You should not be the listener here... We don't want you to have to do that.

February 12th, 2015

Thank you, Roland, for telling us this. A listener is there as a supporter for members and guests and should be in an emotional state that is prepared to take chats. Listeners, as well as members and guests, already have access to the contact resources necessary in case they are at risk of self-harm. When a listener needs emotional support, the listener should have connected to another listener for a session if not at immediate risk of harm or contacted any of the referral information provided if at risk of harm or suicide. The listener you spoke to should not have taken chats while at an emotional state incapable of providing support, let alone tell a member that she is suicidal. I truly apologize for your bad experience and still hope that you can find the support you need from another listener on this site.

If possible and appropriate, you may report that listener by using the block/ban button or write the listener a review. What you wrote will be screened by the admins, and appropriate actions will be taken. You may also provide the listener with this information below:

Suicide Prevention Lifeline
1-800-273-TALK(8255) or 1-800-SUICIDE(7842433)
US Veterans Crisis Hotline
1-800-273-TALK(8255)
Center to Prevent Youth Violence
1-866-773-2587
National Runaway Switchboard
1-800-RUNAWAY
The Trevor Project for LGBT teens
1-800-488-7386
Teen Line
teenlineonline.org
Safe Haven for self-injurers
gabrielle.self-injury.net
Al-Anon / Alateen
www.al-anon.alateen.org

November 22nd, 2016

I am having the same issue right now. i just emailed the community for help but got an email stating that it will take 3 - 5 days

I need help now.

Kilastra April 29th, 2017

There needs to be a way for a member or a listener to send an alert that they are a suicide risk!! It's pointless to email when you have to wait 3 to 5 days for a response, and blocking the person only makes them feel alienated. I'm dealing with a suicidal listener right now and there's literally nothing I can do to help him because there's no way to flag this on the site!!!

@Kilastra I agree.

shovalEl April 11th, 2018

@beautifulMist32 same

gobumpinthenight October 16th, 2017

I sent the person I was talking to the Suicide Hotline. I don't know what else I can do without direct instuctions for the 7Cups community. I'm having this issue right now

FewProudandEmotional October 16th, 2017

@gobumpinthenight

@gobumpinthenight 😞

CalmWhisper22 March 16th, 2018

@FewProudandEmotional

I agree with you. Talking is so important when people are suicidal and the group chats on here they shut people down. The people need help not for people to shut them down when they want to talk. I don't think 7cups understands this.

This post has been deleted

@FewProudandEmotional we shouldn't take/put this huge responsibility on us.

Juleszerozero March 15th, 2018

Unless I have missed it, I think there should be more instruction for what listeners should do when someone is threatening harm. I've been told if they sound or say they are at immediate risk then we are to provide the suicide prevention number and then end chat. I don't know if I have been given the correct information and would love if seven cups could devote an actual link on the website with detailed information of what to do. Many callers I've spoke to don't want the online therapist as it costs money. Other than provide the suicide prevention link I don't know what else to do or what i should be doing.

@DanaMH I agree.They're a bunch of bull.