Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Being a parent with a mental disorder raising kids who are the same..

funnyStrawberries5996 April 12th, 2015

How do I continue to do this .. I have anxiety and BPD ... My daughter also has anxiety and BPD and my son has autism ... I was doing fine as a single parent until I got married a second time and than added my narcisstichusband and his mom into our family who is also narcissistic ... I feel like some days in gonna explode ... Anybody else in the same boat as me?

kateykateykatekate April 12th, 2015

I can relate to raising a child who is JUST LIKE ME. It is scary and difficult, I need to be very conscious of the fact that though we have shared neuroses and I can sympathise, he is his own person living his own life and it won't be exactly like mine (for example, he has a mother who totally gets where he is coming from!!). Taking my medication every day is KEY for me. I'm no good to anyone when my mind is fighting me. Big hugs!

Gingeraffe1919 April 13th, 2015

As long as you give him his privacy when he needs it and you let him know that you are there and can relate, then he will appreciate it. My mom and I are the same and I love her, she never tried to push too hard, she was just THERE. :) I bet you're doing a fantastic job.

funnyStrawberries5996 OP April 13th, 2015

Thanks for sharing