Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Back 7 Cups

Hope101914 November 29th, 2015

Hello! Today I decided to Back 7 Cups because it is a really great website which has done a lot for me and I would like to help it become sustainable. In addition, I was interested in the extra features offered from doing so. I signed up to donate $5 a month and all went well except that I can't actually access the extra features. I can go to the "personalized growth path" page, but all the paths except the basic one are locked. So, I was just wondering if anyone could help me with the reason for this or how to fix it? I realize the Back 7 Cups is a fairly new feature and I think it is a great idea, but I would be very appreciative if it worked, haha. Thanks for any help!

Amelia November 29th, 2015

@Hope101914

Have you tried logging out, closing your browser, clearing your cache, and then logging back in?

Hope101914 OP November 29th, 2015

@RocketsMom

Well, no, haha, I didn't exactly think to do that. I'll go try now!

@RocketsMom

Well, it didn't work. But just so you know, in case a difference, I donated through my listener account and then shared it with my members account. As I understand it, that shouldn't make a difference, but of course I could be wrong.

@Hope101914

Let's go ahead and tag @KrinkTheMellowUnicorn to see if he knows what went wrong :)

Ace13 November 29th, 2015

@RocketsMom @Hope101914

When you back 7Cups on your listener account you cannot unlock the personalized growth path, you need to back it directly from your member account I believe, maybe you just gave the leaf to your member account?

@KrinkTheMellowUnicorn can correct me if Im wrong

@Ace13 @RocketsMom

Alright, thanks Ace, maybe I'll just have to cancel from my listener account and start it up from my member account. Just out of curiosity though, what is the use of giving the leaf if none of the features come with it? Just doesn't seem like there's much point to me. *shrug*

@Hope101914

Because it's about supporting the site. Some of us (like myself) don't have member accounts but still want to support the site :)

@Ace13

Yeah, I get that, just not why you can give a leaf to someone else. Like to me it just makes it look like they are supporting the site when they're not. I guess I'm just not understanding it correctly.

Oops, @ RocketsMom

@Hope101914

That's a great question! There are many ways to support the site that include backing 7 cups as well as giving time. There are some people who adamantly believe in 7 Cups and giving their time and who devote heart and soul to the site but cannot afford to back 7 cups. It is that type of person who I gifted my second leaf to. Make sense kinda?

@RocketsMom

Yeah, I guess that makes sense. Thanks! :)

KrinkTheMellowUnicorn November 29th, 2015

@Hope101914 - the purpose of giving the leaf is to thank or honor someone and also to blur the line between who has the means to give and who does not, regardless of whether they would give if they could.

We are also exploring how to enable people to give upgrades to others or contribute to a pool, sort of like a "scholarship fund".

KrinkTheMellowUnicorn November 29th, 2015

@Hope101914

No, that's exactly the issue and we need to be more clear about that. I'll add an item to the FAQ.

The upgraded paths are only unlocked when you back 7 Cups from a member acct, so to accomplish what you were trying to do you'd have upgraded from the member acct and gifted the icon to the listener acct.

If you submit a support ticket we can basically reverse this for you and unlock the paths on your member account.

@KrinkTheMellowUnicorn

Thanks for clearing this up! So, the best thing to do would be to back 7 cups from the member account and "gift" a leaf to the listener account we have? (Unless, of course, we're planning to gift it to someone else)

KrinkTheMellowUnicorn December 1st, 2015

@RocketsMom - that's right. I think we should add an FAQ to that effect.

Hope101914 OP November 30th, 2015

@KrinkTheMellowUnicorn

Okay, that makes sense, though I agree it really needs to be clarified somewhere. Thanks!

@Hope101914 - yes, I agree and I apologize for the inconvenience!

I've added a new item to the FAQs about Sustainability to help address this in the future. It should be updated within a day.

Ace13 December 1st, 2015

@KrinkTheMellowUnicorn thanks for the update! :)