Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Safety Discussion - Offsite Contact

January 6th

Hi everyone! šŸ©·

This discussion is about something that is being pondered everywhere in 7 Cups - offsite contact. As per our community guidelines, offsite contact - sharing of personal contact details, social media information, addresses etc. - is prohibited here in 7 Cups.

That is because we are an anonymous site, which creates a safe space for people to seek emotional support. As with all other anonymous sites, we truly never know whoā€™s on the other side of the screen.Ā 

So, once a connection between two users moves off 7 Cups to either other sites or in-person, we can no longer protect you. You are on your own, and there is a high risk of dangerous situations, like bullying, stalking, harassment etc., to name just a few.

Obviously, we want to avoid these scary situations, so we at 7 Cups are serious about the safety of all of our users here.

Hereā€™s a rundown of our 7 Cups guidelines on offsite contact: šŸ“ƒ

1. Sharing contact information is never permitted, whether in 1-1 chats, group chat rooms, forums, or in profiles.

These include but are not limited to full names, phone numbers, email addresses, home addresses, video gamesā€™ multiplayer teams, social media accounts, links related to messaging apps/sites.

1. This applies even if you are on self-care break or deactivation break.

2. Recruiting 7 Cups users to a large in-person or online group outside the site is also not allowed.

3. For Adult Teen Listeners (ATL), we have a zero-tolerance policy for offsite contact with teens. Any ATL found in offsite contact with a teen user will have their teen badge removed immediately.

This is done because teens are at higher risk for dangerous online activities.

1. The only exception to using offsite tools on 7 Cups are related to leadership roles - these include Google Sheets, Google Docs, Google Forms.

More about here: Permission Clarifications for Leaders

Now for the question part! āœØ

1. What steps can be taken by you to protect yourself online (including 7 Cups)?

Tag 2-3 of your 7 Cups friends to let them share their insights!

1. What would you do if a member or a listener starts asking for your contact details?

2. If you spotted a forum post containing a link to a group on a social media/messaging site, what could you do about the forum post?

3. Do you have any ideas about minimizing the risk of offsite contact on 7 Cups?Ā 

Suggestions are welcome! šŸ˜Š

Phew, that was a rather long discussion, so hereā€™s a treat for you:
Our Ambassador @Rebekah has written about their experiences with offsite contact. You can read more about it here

If you have spotted a profile that needs to be flagged, feel free to message one of the Safety Patrol members with the username here

For any queries on Safety (profile flagging/outreaching/discussions), youā€™re welcome to message tommy or Rebekah!

Resources for further reading šŸ‘‡:

(all text in blue are clickable)

January 6th
Tagging the Safety Team:
@EvelyneRose @Rebekah @tommy @positivePumpkin22 @AuRewolf @KristenHR @KindnessMatters2020 @LightsFromDark @iPHOENIX @EmotionsListener @Dystopiatae95 @blissart @LittleBirdie30 @SolaceCares @SirenOfSerenity @Lou73 @Jenna @MistyMagic @fruityPond7887 @Hamstermum @MelodyoftheOcean @AffyAvo @Sunisshiningandsoareyou @kindheartedlily @florablossom3319 @blissfulSky8162 @sereneMirage8103 @courageousDreamer8927 @Jiminycricket91 @kyan1 @Raspberrycheesecake @MattForHelp @radiantLight33 @TabbyCat97 @LandOfHopesx3 @Daf8 @Optimisticempath @coco128 @jundaee @pandanfe @Artalistens @Bunnylovesyou @WatermelonLover22 @Suryansh @SparkyGizmo @rubyjane00 @niamh333 @lovelyApple6441 @LOOPHOLE @azuladragon34 @Rui00 @Ralien @fantasticJet1739 @Grace3012 @Mahad2804 @HachiBee @LoveMyMoonflowers @OllieRNLI999 @sweetmikayla @DanCat1128
KatePersephone January 6th

@AuRewolf yay the discussion is here! :3

KatePersephone January 6th

@AuRewolf

1. What steps can be taken by you to protect yourself online (including 7 Cups)?

not share information about my real identity (full name, location, address, credit card details)

1. What would you do if a member or a listener starts asking for your contact details?
    i would kindly let them know that the site does not allow offsite contact.

2. If you spotted a forum post containing a link to a group on a social media/messaging site, what could you do about the forum post?

i would report the forum post or also let the leader of the community in which the forum post is located at to perhaps edit out the social media info.

January 6th

@KateDoskocilova

Yay, thanks for sharing your thoughts! šŸ˜Š

Yes, letting the other person know about the no-offsite contact policy is a good approach! It also helps to share the link to the helpdesk page about offsite contact (at the end of the original post) with them too!

Yas on reporting the forum post and letting the community leaders know about it so that they can edit out the contact details!

cloudySummer January 6th
What steps can be taken by you to protect yourself online (including 7 Cups)?
  • Not using a name or image that can be traced to any other channel,
  • protecting anonymity as much as possible
  • using a separate email address for 7cups (because security doesn't seem to be their strong suit),
  • being vague about events you attend, places where you live/are going, groups outside 7cups that you take part in
  • not using any Google form where you need to log in with your real-world Google user name
  • limiting use of any other shared outside-7cups-site to an absolute minimum, even if that means that you miss out on some of the events - at least until 7cups understands that forms outside cups put their users in danger, and provides their own forms and document sharing website (which is, frankly, pretty easy to setup and maintain).

I'd tell them no, and depending upon the intention behind it, I'd block and report them, or just tell them why not.

I'd report it ASAP.

3. Do you have any ideas about minimizing the risk of offsite contact on 7 Cups?

Don't. For the rest, see my first reply.

January 6th

@cloudySummer

Thanks for sharing your insights!

I agree with you on using a separate email address for 7 Cups, as well as not sharing much about the life outside of 7 Cups while interacting with other users.

It looks like you feel that minimizing the use of outside websites (like google forms and google docs) is a safe move towards protecting the outside identity of 7 Cups users. It makes sense, given that this is an anonymous platform.

Also, excellent ways to respond to the user asking for contact details, as well as reporting the forum post for removing the link :)

cloudySummer January 6th

@AuRewolf It doesn't just 'look like I feel' - I don't 'feel' that, I know it, thanks to some education in cybersecurity.

DanCat1128 January 6th

@AuRewolfĀ @kristynsmamaĀ @DreamTouchĀ @BearListens @Dreamicicle8467

šŸš§What steps can you take in order to protect yourself online (including 7 Cups)?

šŸ± Don't give out personal information (no numbers, no social media, no legal name, no address) or the whereabouts of where you liveā€¦.. don't say the precise city or state

šŸš§ What would you do if a member or listener starts asking for your contact details?

šŸ± We cannot give out personal contact information because it can put us in danger. We can still chat here.Ā 

šŸš§ If you spotted a forum post containing a link to a group on a social media/messaging site, what could you do about the forum post?

šŸ± I would flag the post because it's sharing off-site contact. Then the rightful leaders will take care of it.

šŸš§ Do you have any ideas about minimizing the risk of offsite contact on 7 Cups?Ā 

šŸ± If there is off-site contact we can use the 3 warnings and then ban the listener or both peopleā€¦..

Walker7957 January 6th

Scares me

LabeledBPD January 7th

The number one prevention to requests and encouragement to move communications away from the site would be to provide all the alternative sites have to offer.

how this site, or any could do so upholding anonymity consistently is difficult.

Saying that, I ask what are the reasons (in the mind of the undesirable with bad intentions) used to justify leaving the site primarily?

Listener banned when a true connection built thatā€™s help providing gone without (perceived) good reason?

A solution to such a issue is involving and asking the member before harsh intervention thatā€™s behind the smokescreen. A uncertain member could then ask for observation, admin to step in, or best for the site fault is not there responsibility. From my knowledge of law.

knowing that if such actions are caught for what they are a ban is all they face as a deterrent.

unhappy humans , in distress, in need for support who will not or donā€™t have the opportunity to talk or reach out to someone. Have a dedicated completely void of repercussions active and timely means of simple concerns being a source of guidance in a place thatā€™s difficult to navigate even in the best mindset.

I have these answers and questions from a very experienced perspective, Iā€™m actually not thinking about what happened and what would have prevented it. Every day or close to I deeply miss and think about my ex from 7cups. My account years ago saved me due to her, nobody on earth knows me and was willing to be there for me like she was. Was she wrong in her actions?

itā€™s a question I ask myself while also asking, on the planned dates, would my answered desire for company have changed anything? I know immediately no! I done what I intended on a few even knowing sheā€™s a willing yet not supportive in my actions company I desired.

when you unexpectedly survive a continuation in apparently day ending actions, company very much needed and only available here with someone who cares more than anyone in your life, was the following years later in person much missed relationships bad or good?

id love a clear answer as I canā€™t find one. Safety is extremely important but then Iā€™m not about to attribute or even attempt to decide oneā€™s wellbeing and potential outcomes as morality is a complex subject.

sorry for the over shared information, I only mentioned it as even what may be considered a easy choice, so many reasons for the outcome . 7cups IM0 could be so much better