Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Friends with benefits

adaptablePenguin4371 August 7th, 2022

So I broke up with my ex a week ago and we’re both sorta okay emotionally and still pretty good friends, the thing just is that we kinda started hooking up again and kinda agreed to be friends with benefits. I know this maybe isn’t the most reasonable thing to do (considering it might make moving on a lot harder) and we’ll I told my friend who said that sexual relationships and romantic relationships aren’t the same and that they’re scared I’ll get hurt because I’ll stay attached, I see their point I really do, but I also enjoy being friends with benefits. It feels a lot more intriguing than when we were in a relationship, but it also makes me question if I’m actually doing the right thing or if the pleasure isn’t worth it? I’m slightly confused mainly because I really enjoy it.

CatzInTheCradle August 7th, 2022

@adaptablePenguin4371

Experience has a way to teach us what we need, that is incomparable to any ‘advice’. Even the most well intentioned advice will not probably not dissuade you from becoming entangled with your ex in this situation, because like you said, it’s got a kind of allure, a freedom, a sense of exhilaration. It’s a new experience and you need to explore where it goes.

Yes, your friend is also right - there’s the potential that this gets ‘complicated’, that there’s a possibility you will become entrenched in some pre-existing unresolved romantic feelings. And it’s exactly that ‘danger’ that makes these kinds of relationships exciting.

Just know your own limits - recognize if/when exploration of something new and novel might become more painful than pleasurable. ‘No strings attached’ sex usually means he might start sleeping with other people eventually because he has no exclusive obligation to you any more. You might want to be conscious of that and manage your expectations accordingly before you become too attached and get hurt when it happens.

Hope it works out for you both, whatever the outcome!

CatsInTheCradle

adaptablePenguin4371 OP August 7th, 2022

Thank you very much! I’ll do my best to keep this in mind ❤️