Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Spouses and Reckless Purchases

SolsticeSerenade March 25th, 2022

TLDR: Does anyone have a spouse that spends more? How do you handle disagreements about large purchases?

Vent session:

I always thought my husband was more smart about money since he's not as big a spender as me but then he went and got himself a new car - $36,000 with a $600 monthly payment. He called me to ask to borrow $2,000 as a down payment but I wanted him to get a different car, so I said no. He went and bought it anyway. 🙄

He has no income at the moment outside of driving Uber and we are separated (we love each other but need to work on our issues) so he's also paying rent where he's staying.

I paid every single month all the car bills (loan, insurance, extra warranty - even while separated) even though we 'shared' a car for many years (2 years per each car because there was always an accident [this time not my husband's fault] after two years) but I only got to drive each car about 4 times. Can't deny that I was ecstatic to get this annoying car bill off my back. My husband fortunately was not hurt in the accident and the car was finally paid off since it wasn't his fault.

I refuse to pay a cent towards this reckless purchase. I downsized to an old much smaller property in order to SAVE $500 since I was choking on bills at our previous apartment. I hope he trades this car in for a comparable used one.

Thank you for letting me vent. 😅

ouiCherie April 3rd, 2022

@SolsticeSerenade

It's good to hear that you draw the boundary of what you can and cannot do in taking responsibility of his choice. We all student of life, aren't we?

Hope it gets better for both of you soon and thank you for sharing! 💜