Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

How do I cope with my codependency issues?

grayOwl035 September 20th, 2022

Hi. I wanted to get some advice on this.

I have a lot of codependency issues, and I am noticing a pattern, so I wanted to get some advice. For starters, I am not going to therapy or do not have access to mental health resources, due to my living situation.

I've had codependency issues with almost every close friend I've had. I'm in my 20s. There are a few friends that I talk to every now and then (I'm talking once in a month, once in 45 days). There's one friend that I talk to almost everyday. We first became friends in high school, and we've been friends since then.

We talk on a daily basis. Nothing major. We do have our serious conversations, but most of the times, it's about games, TV, our workout schedules and work. I'm usually a serial texter which means I send several texts during the span of the day and she replies to them whenever she's free. No issues with this. She's more of an avoidant personality.

The thing I'm struggling with is, when she's feeling like withdrawing, she goes AWOL. I've noticed this and have controlled my serial texting tendencies, when she's not upto it, so as to not overwhelm her. But sometimes, I feel angry, because I feel like I'm the only person participating in the relationship, I'm the only person initiating the conversation.

And just to clarify, when we finally get back to talking terms, I've asked her if there was a particular trigger or something that made her withdraw or if she's had some issue that she'd like to talk about. Her answer has always been that she just didn't feel like talking and there's no issue/problem and that she's fine.

I don't feel like having a conversation about this with her would solve the issue, because she's entitled to not replying if she doesn't feel like it. I want to know how I can cope with this codependency issue and anger, so that I don't damage the relationship.

toughTiger6481 September 20th, 2022

@grayOwl035

I understand as do most people who text ......... when you have a friend who you can send several texts and sometimes they respond immediately and others they just put it off and maybe a day later etc. It used to bother me.

i know in a return situation if i am not up to tons of texts and answering i simply DON"T ...... several friends tend to send texts that i simply never have the "right" answer they are looking for so they respond with " but NO and proceed to change my answer ... i withdraw as they just are venting and not listening so i do one word answers until they often quit texting.......