Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Digital life

intelligentTiger5312 December 9th, 2021

Does anyone feel the same as me? I'm finding lots of people becoming zombies with their phones etc. I remember the days when people had personalities, interacted, laughed together and generally were good company. Nowadays, they sit in silence, lost in a world behind a screen, isolated from each other. We are so distanced, cold and unapproachable, no wonder we struggle to have relationships with real human beings. We are slowly being programmed to be heartless robots. We are losing the confidence to talk to others unless it's by text. Phone calls are not the done thing...we seem scared to talk to others or is it we just don't have time to have proper conversations face to face or real time anymore? A quick, meaningless text will do, it seems. These actions devalue the ones we are in the company of, ignore the people that are the most important to us, only missing them when they leave as they can't bear being second place to a phone. I despair for the future generations, I can see the blank faces already of the robot look.....

QuietMagic December 10th, 2021

@intelligentTiger5312

Yeah, there are definitely some changes that are happening because of technology. And it make it a bit more difficult for people to talk face-to-face and have that sense of shared presence. Or when people are there, their mind is distracted.

If there are specific people you want to stay connected with, and that in-person presence is something that feels really important to you, maybe you could discuss that with those people so that you can try to have your own needs/wants met. Like, "I really enjoy spending time with you in-person and I feel like all of the virtual stuff isn't quite the same."

As far as the culture as a whole, I have some optimism that people are creative and will do whatever they need to do to get their needs satisfied. For example, there are sites like this one where people are leveraging technology in a way that creates some emotional intimacy and understanding. Or possibly another outcome is that people will eventually feel similar to you in feeling that the technology is cold and inadequate, and they'll feel dissatisfied enough that they'll turn back to real-life interactions out of necessity. 😊 There's already been quite a bit of research on the negative psychological effects of social media. Things have a way of moving around.

BNickieB November 18th, 2022

I noticed it several years ago when I understood that children go outside to play on phones together.

BesYar November 18th, 2022

Though digital transformation has benefits in many spheres and really helps make the world for the better (especially by combining human skills), it has a negative impact on personal lives. People became more shy and introverted. I think it I important for parents to show a good example of spending time, e.g. reading a book or going for a walk instead of surfing a phone or a tablet.